Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Summer from a 2L Summer Firms Hiring Perspective  (Read 10723 times)

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1L Summer from a 2L Summer Firms Hiring Perspective
« on: January 13, 2007, 08:06:34 PM »
I know that the 1L summer work is about having something to talk about in the interviews.

My question is whether someone who split their 1L summer between two big and prestigious firms has an edge over someone who split between a Criminal District Attorney's Office and a State District Court Judge's chambers when it comes to hiring 2L summer associates.

My intuitive answer is no, but I wanted to get some opinions, and yes I am just trying to reconcile my likely path.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Summer from a 2L Summer Firms Hiring Perspective
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 11:31:34 AM »
I know that the 1L summer work is about having something to talk about in the interviews.

My question is whether someone who split their 1L summer between two big and prestigious firms has an edge over someone who split between a Criminal District Attorney's Office and a State District Court Judge's chambers when it comes to hiring 2L summer associates.

My intuitive answer is no, but I wanted to get some opinions, and yes I am just trying to reconcile my likely path.

I've never heard of a 1L splitting their summer.  First, most 1Ls are lucky to get even 1 offer for a paid position.  Second, most firms will NOT let a 1L split their summer.  You sign on for the full summer or not at all.  Splitting between firms is primarily a 2L opportunity.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »
Well that answers that.

Thanks

up_late

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 02:40:47 PM »
OK, so splitting is out.  But let's say you have a choice between a law firm and a DA's office.  In that case, there are arguments either way.  If you think you'd like to do criminal law or government work sometime in the future, then the DA's office is a good chance to check it out and get it on your resume for a time when you'd want to do it later.  Firms hiring 2L summer associates aren't going to think less of you just because you chose that instead of a big law firm.  Going with a firm can be good, though.  I know three people who benefited from having a 1L summer at a firm.  The first really enjoyed her 1L summer and hated her 2L summer, so she accepted a permanent offer from her 1L employer.  The second got pregnant during her 2L year and went back to her 1L firm for the 2L summer, so it was good to go back to a place where she already knew the ropes and had already done some good work.  The third person got no offers for a 2L summer associateship, so she spent her 2L summer back at her 1L firm.  Going to a firm during the 1L summer isn't necessary, but it can be beneficial.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »
a 1L who is going to ahve the option of *splitting* at biglaw for the summer!?!?

jesus man - what's u're story? #1 at yale law with a cure for HIV in the works?

I'm the other guy, not the hypothetical splitter.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 03:20:30 PM »
take the firm job, no matter what.  being a 1L and having a summer associate gig at a large firm is very rare, so the generalization is that only the best and brightest get the opportunity.  future employers will see this and use it as a proxy for desirability - its kind of like dating - you're much more attractive to all the other guys or gals once they see you dating someone

onedashL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 06:40:43 PM »
what about a small firm paid position or interning for a state court judge for school credits?  what would look better in the eyes of recruiters for larger firms for the 2L summer?

would appreciate some help from those that have done OCI and either worked for a judge or worked for a smaller firm 1L summer

vaplaugh

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 10:48:59 PM »
tags

Buddy Holly

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 07:41:46 AM »
a 1L who is going to ahve the option of *splitting* at biglaw for the summer!?!?

jesus man - what's u're story? #1 at yale law with a cure for HIV in the works?

I have a friend who is splitting his 1L summer at 2 V10 firms in the same city. I had the option to, but declined. It is more common than you would think at T10 schools.

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:19:09 AM »
This is slightly off-topic, but how does spending your 1L summer abroad affect 2L summer jobs? Does anyone ever do an abroad program for the first month and some kind of internship for the last 2 months, or vice versa?