Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Summer from a 2L Summer Firms Hiring Perspective  (Read 10757 times)

OSU_Fiji77

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1L Summer from a 2L Summer Firms Hiring Perspective
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 01:52:24 PM »
tag - I'm curious about the same.  I've heard of people students doing it, but have not heard the affects of it.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 04:38:54 PM »
Personally, I think study abroad and an internship is a good use of your 1L summer is you can do it, especially id the study abroad involv.

Several kids I went to school with did this a it worked out well. It came up during every interview and was a nice topic to talk about.

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 11:41:41 PM »
This is slightly off-topic, but how does spending your 1L summer abroad affect 2L summer jobs? Does anyone ever do an abroad program for the first month and some kind of internship for the last 2 months, or vice versa?

I did this the summer between 1L & 2L and thought it was a great way to spend the summer. Did study abroad for 1 month, came back and interned with a non-profit for the rest of the summer. During most of the OCI interviews I had in the fall, the study abroad came up as a conversation topic. I think it's useful as a way to have something a little different to discuss than many of your classmates, especially if you can think of several intelligent or insightful things to say about your time in the program. If you follow up the study abroad with a particularly interesting internship, it can make for some good 2L interview conversation fodder, which is really important, at least in my experience. I'm currently a Biglaw Summer Associate, so I don't think my choice negatively impacted my job opportunities.

Plus, getting extra credits thru a study abroad program may allow you to take a lighter load in fall of 2L, which many people (myself included) believe is the single most stressful semester of law school, in terms of juggling your schedule.

LexTalionis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 12:38:36 AM »
what are the prospects of getting summer employment as a 2L for those who were in a part-time program and had to spend the summer as 1Ls taking classes?   Anyone cares to share their experience?