Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LEEWS  (Read 1233 times)

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LEEWS
« on: January 13, 2007, 06:59:10 PM »
Is this really worth it? I have heard it is absolutely BS and an utter waste of $$$?

This damn law school review material is a freakin' industry in and of itself.  I can't believe how much $$$ I have spent on commerical supplements.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LEEWS
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »
Some people swear by it, I have read some of the primer and just didn't find it applicable to most of my exam types. If I had had an all essay Torts exam I might have lloked at LEEWS more in depth.

Flemings is another one people talk about.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:31:59 PM »
LEEWS is a must; especially prior to your first semester - b/c you will have an edge over the rest of your class, as they will have no clue what to expect.  LEEWS not only helps with your exam writing, but also helps you put together a concise, yet effective, outline throughout the semester.  I have heard one person in my class say that LEEWS was a waste, but after inquiring further it appears that the person put forth no effort into following through with the approach.
pudding is delightful

UHLAW09

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »
seemed really helpful at the time, and I used it to an extent in the exams but it wasnt that great, it does help you calm down during an exam and that might be worth the price alone

My first semester grades were B in legal writing, and 3 B+'s

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 08:13:39 AM »
I used it, and I loved it.  Many of my classmates STILL haven't figured out how to write a good legal exam.  I didn't follow it exactly first semester of last year, but took it more to heart second semester, and my grades improved enough to push me from top 20% to the top 14 students in the class.  Everyone differs, and I agree that a lot of "prep" material is a scam, but this one was completely worth it for me.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »
I'd actually never heard of LEEWS until reading here. I found the most effective studying technique for me was writing out old exam questions, timing myself, and comparing them to sample answers. Most of my professors gave out sample answers so I had a guide to go by, which was very helpful.

The only commercial prep material I used was a few of the Q&A books as review with my study group and I read some chapters of E&E for concepts I felt uncomfortable with.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 10:20:37 AM »
It really just depends on the type of exam. If you have a classic issue-spotting exam, it can be very helpful. I worked through LEEWS before my exams, but it wasn't very helpful because my exams were much more policy-focused. If your prof strays from the traditional IRAC format, it's not going to be very helpful. Also, I think LEEWS works better for classes like Torts and property than for more theoretical classes like ConLaw.
Georgetown

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 11:43:32 AM »
I bought it and started trying it.  I got through the first 2 CDs before I just got so bored with it.  The presenter is a pompous windbag, and it is more motivational speaking than anything else.

What it gives you, is a basic process for how to tackle the exams.  If you don't have a process already, or haven't already figured out how to sit down and analyze a problem, LEEWS might actually be good for you.  As I said, I gave up on it before sitting through it all.  For me it was BS because he was just pointing out things that were already obvious to me.

Now, maybe he gets into some more useful stuff later in the CD's.  I never listened that far.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 01:13:34 PM »
The last few CD's are the most helpful, once he stops talking about how wonderful the process is. But really, it's just a long way of teaching the IRAC format, which isn't that complicated. Delaney's book on exam taking was much more straightforward and helpful. Delaney spends time talking about policy arguments.

I bought it and started trying it.  I got through the first 2 CDs before I just got so bored with it.  The presenter is a pompous windbag, and it is more motivational speaking than anything else.

What it gives you, is a basic process for how to tackle the exams.  If you don't have a process already, or haven't already figured out how to sit down and analyze a problem, LEEWS might actually be good for you.  As I said, I gave up on it before sitting through it all.  For me it was BS because he was just pointing out things that were already obvious to me.

Now, maybe he gets into some more useful stuff later in the CD's.  I never listened that far.
Georgetown

Mozart711

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »
Last semester I bought the primer, and found it to be of minimal help. The book "Getting to Maybe" seemed to help the most, but I still feel that writing old exams is by far the best method. Unfortunetly, I only did this for two classes because I put a lot of stock into the E&E's. The E&E series can help, but without writing old exams I think they can only get you half way. I was thinking about trying the LEEWS audio cassette system for this semester. Anyone find a big difference between the primer and the actual audio program?

Is this really worth it? I have heard it is absolutely BS and an utter waste of $$$?

This d**mn law school review material is a freakin' industry in and of itself.  I can't believe how much $$$ I have spent on commerical supplements.