Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If accepted here but waitlisted at the U, should I go here?  (Read 11654 times)

taplinb

• View Profile
    • Cui Bono
    • Email
If accepted here but waitlisted at the U, should I go here?
« on: January 13, 2007, 08:13:31 AM »
Hey William Mitchell folks!

I was just accepted for the Fall of 2007. I live and will remain in Saint Paul, and may pursue a career in Criminal, IP, or Business Law. My deadline to accept is in early Spring. The U of MN probably won't admit me with a 157 LSAT, so... If I am wait-listed at the U of MN, and accepted to every other Minnesota school, should I accept this offer?

If so or if not, why?
-Brad

Do or do not. There is no try. -Yoda

VitaminE

• View Profile
Re: If accepted here but waitlisted at the U, should I go here?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 11:59:43 AM »
Brad,
Did any of the schools offer you financial aid? I would definitely choose Mitchell over the other 2 private schools. Of course, my reply may be biased because I am a student @ William Mitchell :) Is there any other reason that you think you could be moved off of the MN waitlist? Extremely high G.P.A.? Great personal statement? Resume? You don't have to accept/put a deposit down at Mitchell right away, do you? Have you been to an admitted student day yet?

Alright, good luck with your decision :)

taplinb

• View Profile
    • Cui Bono
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 03:47:58 PM »
Dear VitaminE,

Thank you for the response. I am still waiting to hear from the other MN schools, but I attended a thing for Mitchell prospectives today at and liked it, especially an enthusiastic and moving (if logically unpersuasive) pitch from John O. Sonsteng. I really liked him. Younger version of my dad (rest in peace), who was a Minneapolis cop until 1970 and then an investigator for Hennepin County, back before you had to have a J.D. to be a full-time investigator,

If it weren't for the expected debt I would want my Dad's old job, but $80k+ in student loans doesn't jibe well with a mid-fifties starting salary (guessing on that fifor 2010), so I am also considering private practice. Depends in part on how my wife's career and needs will look when I graduate. We get by, but mortgage+school can be tough.

As to other schools, I have a low undergrad GPA from 17 years ago (3.68 in a bit of grad school later) but good personal statement and work references from three employers. My deadline for deciding on Mitchell is the end of March. I have not yet been to an "accepted" day and have had no response from three other MN schools.

What do you think about the money and these ideas? If I can't afford to work for Ramsey, Hennepin, or MN, what do you think about trademark/copyright or maybe real estate as potentially safe, predictable income options. Besides picking a school, I am trying to decide what path to pursue, who to hang with, which profs to attach myself to, what orgs to join. Target planning, for those of us not expected to be in the upper 10%, might be a good approach. Do you agree? I am wide open to suggestions, and favor stability over flash or cash (though I could probably litigate).

Do or do not. There is no try. -Yoda

VitaminE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 06:40:20 PM »
I think it might not be a bad idea for you to try to meet with the career planning office at William Mitchell. I don't really know much about trademark/copyright law. I know it's a growing area of law (at least according to my property professor)... I sometimes get nervous because there are so many people going to law school, and I think our class had 3-400 people this year (at William Mitchell alone). With 4 law schools it can be a competitive market in the Twin Cities. I want to work in the legal field, though, so I am sticking it out.

Mitchell is a great school and is highly esteemed in the local community. Our writing classes are taught in small groups (about 10-12 students) by actual lawyers from the Twin Cities. I really like studying law, and I enjoy my classes and classmates.

As for the $80K plus in student loans, just remember student loan consolidation and the MN-LRAP program http://www.lrapmn.org/

Good luck with your decision.

Oh, and I wish I had known about this when I had decided to go to Mitchell. When you are signing up for your Section, be sure to check the schedule and the average grades (from past years) that each professor in the section gives out. I would switch sections to avoid Heidenreich for Contracts at all costs. He loves giving out Ds and Fs. Not good for the GPA.

http://www.wmitchell.edu/current/grades/mean0506.html
http://agresso.wmitchell.edu/information/inquiries/courselist.aspx

slylives

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 05:14:26 PM »
I am a 1L at Mitchell and would strongly encourage you to accept Mitchell's offer. I am a part-time student, which put the U off my list from the off, but in my experience Mitchell is as highly regarded as the U. Particularly because of the emphasis that Mitchell places on the practical skills which will be so marketable when we leave. My WRAP professor, a public defender, often says how he can distinguish the law clerks in his office between U of M and Mitchell, just by looking at a sample of writing (clue: Mitchell's tend to be better!)