Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OK -- I need to make a decision JD/MBA or No JD/MBA  (Read 549 times)

yupster567

• View Profile
OK -- I need to make a decision JD/MBA or No JD/MBA
« on: January 12, 2007, 05:01:04 PM »
At our school you are automatically let into the program as long as you got over a 158 on your LSAT.  Should I do it?

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: OK -- I need to make a decision JD/MBA or No JD/MBA
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 12:33:58 AM »
This is a very personalized decision to your circumstances.  You also aren't clear what your decision is.

1.  Are you just getting out of undergraduate and wondering if you should go on to graduate school (JD/MBA)?
2.  Are you admitted to an MBA program and trying to decide if you want to get a joint JD/MBA?
3.  Are you admitted to a JD program and trying to decide if you want to get a joint JD/MBA?
4.  Something else I can't imagine right now?

Personally, I am not a believer in the joint programs.  I say you do one or the other.  Unless you are going for a fairly specialized position, there isn't much benefit from doing both.  You spend an extra year in school, but don't typically get any extra salary.  Now, there are some jobs that may seek out JD/MBAs.  You may also not care about working and earning money, and just want to experience school.  For 99% of the people, I'd recommend sticking to just one program, though.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »
I was really into doing a Joint JD/MBA program before I started law school, but after I started it really fizzled out. Basically, I didn't want to take any summer classes, and after my first year I just wanted to graduate and start working.

If you are thinking about, wait until you start law school to make a decision. Most of your first year classes will be required classes anyway, so you probably wont start the MBA classes until the summer or your second year.

yupster567

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 11:37:49 AM »
I've started law school already.  I just cannot get a straight answer from any of the admissions people as to the concrete benefits of having such a degree.

Also, I enjoy being with my class and I fear that next year I will lose touch with them while I am taking business courses.

Strong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 02:02:41 PM »
I was set on a JD/MBA before school started also.

I just totally forgot about it once the semester hit. It would be one thing if you are at a school that has a badass MBA program, but I'm not, so its kind of a waste.

Unless you know you want to practice in an area where it will be preferred / required, which I don't, I can't see it as being that beneficial.