Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I transfer out?  (Read 2307 times)

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
Should I transfer out?
« on: January 12, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
I am at UIUC, probably top 5% or higher, but definitely top 10%, currently enjoying a full ride.  I don't have any serious long term career goal really.  I am not thinking about teaching, at least not now. 

What I do think about doing is to go into investment banking after law school.  I know this might be a tough move for a JD, but probably not impossible. 

What schools do I have a shot at?  I was originally accepted into Northwestern, but turned them down for UIUC. I hope to get into CLS, Columbia or NYU, although I won't find an acceptance from Harvard offensive (just kidding, I don't see myself having any chance at Harvard, but it doesn't hurt to day dream a bit). 

Assuming I am top 5%, and considering that my career goal is possibly in investment or business, is it worth it go give up my fullride here and go for higher ranked school? Do I have a shot at CLS, Columbia or NYU?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I transfer out?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »
Full ride at UIUC?  Especially if you want to go non-traditional like investment banker, you should stay.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:58:01 AM »
I TOTALLY agree.  Outside of the practice of law, the name of your school doesn't matter at all (in fact, I'd choose a school with a higher ranked MBA program even if the law school isn't as highly ranked (i.e. UPenn) over a school with a high-ranked law program but a crappy business school by comparison ... Yale is the only one that comes to mind, but that's a sort of a different story) for name recognition purposes.  "Summa cum laude" looks a lot better than a degree with no fancy latin phrase at the end when the industry doesn't care about the name of your school.

If this is totally incoherent, forgive me.  I have a hideous hangover.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »
If that is the case, then making a JD/MBA would be more useful for me than transferring to a higher ranked school?  It is hard to give up my chance at a prestigious school though, I am such a prestige whore!

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 07:53:40 PM »
I TOTALLY agree.  Outside of the practice of law, the name of your school doesn't matter at all
I disagree. Everyone knows which schools are Ivy League, so getting into Columbia would be prestigious no matter what. NYU, on the other hand, doesn't have that same sway outside of law.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 09:54:25 PM »
"At all" = figure of speech.  Of course the name of your school matters, but I've seen lawyers look up the USNWR rankings to decide whether to work with a summer associate or not.  It's all relative.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

dorsia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 10:15:55 PM »
Assuming that you finish in the top 5 or 10 percent of your class at UIUC, you have a shot at transferring to all of the schools that you mentioned.  That being said, you will also have good opportunities to work at a large firm, put yourself in good position to clerk for a federal judge, and be on law review if you stay (with the exception of law review--and there may be opportunities as well--you will obviously have all those opportunities if you transfer).  Would you be transferring solely for prestige?  If forgoing a full ride is worth it, go for it and don't be ashamed to do so.  Just know, if you keep your grades up, that you are in a good position where you are.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 03:41:04 PM »
I kind of want to speak with some professors about transferring. Do you think they will be offended, especially the professor graduated from here?

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »
I kind of want to speak with some professors about transferring. Do you think they will be offended, especially the professor graduated from here?
Mine weren't offended.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »
I TOTALLY agree.  Outside of the practice of law, the name of your school doesn't matter at all

that's ridiculous. do you know which schools are the good b-schools? i do. bankers work hand in hand w/lawyers. you think they don't know which are the good law schools? banks look for people w/outstanding academic creds just like law firms. translation - this person should transfer.