Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring Down  (Read 1083 times)

BME_Law

• View Profile
Transferring Down
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:28:27 PM »
I am thinking about transferring to a few different schools.  Some are ranked higher and some are ranked lower.  My question is: what grades/ranking would I typically need to transfer to a lower school?  Top 25%?  Top 33%?  Top 50%?  Would they accept lower? 

We haven't received grades yet, which is why I am asking ranges.  Also, I feel as though I did pretty well, but I'm sure that is not a good indicator because I'm sure that people who feel they did well also end up with poor grades.  If you are interested, there are a few reasons why I am transferring: 1) enjoy the school, but not the city, location, etc. of my current school; 2) have no intention of practicing here, but would like to practice where I would transfer to; 3) other personal reasons.

Thanks for your advice.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring Down
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 02:45:04 PM »
To transfer down, you only need to pass.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

BME_Law

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »
Thanks.  I know the question sounded a little ignorant, but I know about transferring up and was not sure about someone transferring down.  Definitely makes sense though. 

Would you agree that transferring down is appropriate for the reasons I listed in the previous post (listed below)?
1) enjoy the school, but not the city, location, etc. of my current school
2) have no intention of practicing here, but would like to practice where I would transfer to
3) other personal reasons
**It also depends on my ability to transfer to a higher ranked school.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »
yeah, I would agree with those reasons, but how far down are you thinking?  Keep in mind that not all career services offices are equal. If you go to too low a school, you may have difficulty getting a job, even if its in the same city.  However, some T3s and T4s have excellent reputations in thier own cities.

Make sure to consider this.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 06:11:28 PM »
What rank is your current school?  If you're at Harvard, I wouldn't transfer down.  If you're at UCLA and you're thinking about transferring to Vanderbilt for the reasons above, you're probably fine.  But I'm not sure I could recommend going from a t14 down too far (or actually down at all).  I'd stay within your tier and try not to make too radical a drop or it's going to hurt you in the job market.  Just make sure you're comfortable with your reasons and that you'll be ok explaining it to potential employers during OCI.

ALSO try to find a school where you'll have a chance to try and participate in the normal law review write on competition, ESPECIALLY if you transfer down.  You'll need it on the resume.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

BME_Law

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:02:52 PM »
Current School: Miami (65)

Looking to transfer to: Emory (26), UGA (34), Mercer (87), Georgia State (97)

Trend: Atlanta area

-I know that Mercer is in Macon and UGA is in Athens, but I think everyone gets the general point

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:17:31 PM »
I'm from the area, and I can tell you that Ga State is much better in the Atlanta area that Mercer.

Otherwise, obviously, Emory and UGA are better than that (and Miami).

Also, I should note that Ga State is VERY difficult to transfer into.  The ostensible reason is that for Ga residents the tuition is cheap (like $3k) and if you're happy in Atlanta, you're set.

I applied to GSU for my transfer and was denied, but I was accepted to 2 T1s

BME_Law

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:02:36 PM »
Ok, thanks for the advice and information.  Appreciate the help.