Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L w/ Job interview friday  (Read 1258 times)

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1L w/ Job interview friday
« on: January 11, 2007, 02:30:58 AM »
I am a 1L at a tier 2 school in chicago.  I have managed to get a job interview at a Milwaukee law firm.
1)Any general advice?
2) Any advice about answering specific types of questions?
3) Should I ask if I will be reimbursed for my travel expenses?   
Thanks A lot!! ???

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 1L w/ Job interview friday
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:48:46 AM »
1.  Try to be relaxed and be yourself.  Enjoy meeting these people.
2.  Pick up Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams.  I think its by Kim Walton.  It's fantastic for prepping for interviews (and any other job search question you might have).  It might not be helpful for Friday though, so I'll add this:  Know this firm inside and out.  Know why you want to work there.  Know why you want to be a lawyer and why you went to law school.  Have an idea of why you want to work in Milwaukee.
3.  I don't think you'll have to ask; most firms will let you know.

Lucero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:07:06 AM »
Jacy is right on the money. You will get reimbursed for mileage, or at least I've never heard of someone who hasn't been. The absolute key is convincing them that you want to work in Milwaukee for the long term and aren't just using them to leapfrog to a better position next year where you really want to be. Emphasize ANY Milwaukee/Wisconsin ties you might have and play them up as much as you can. Don't just say "when I visited I thought it was nice and it seems like a great place to practice law and raise a family." They will be investing a lot of time and money training you as a young associate (or even just for the summer) and they want to know you are interested in hanging around. Its going to be hard to relax since it sounds like your 1st interview, but they will likely be very laid back and easy going and just concentrate on making friendly, professional conversation. Remember, if you've got the interview, chances are you've got the grades so be confident - the reality for 1Ls is that even if they like you, the limited number of slots means that one of your classmates with better grades who they also like will get the offer. Keep your expectations reasonable and just focus on presenting the best picture of you, and hopefully you'll get the job. Good luck.

mccali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:13:36 PM »
I agree with the above posters.  However, regarding mileage, if this is a first round of interviews, rather than a callback, you may not be reimbursed.  I sent a resume to a firm last year who invited me up to their offices for a initial screening interview.  All of the expenses incurred were my responsibility.