Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Responses to LSD Westsiiiiiidddee party time frame were overwhelming.  On to Venue

Casa de Sherm
 3 (21.4%)
Whatever place Headmachine offered but i can't remember
 0 (0%)
Whatever place in the park that one dude mentioned
 0 (0%)
LA
 2 (14.3%)
Bay Area
 4 (28.6%)
Party in ruskie's pants (and everyone's coming) Yeah female dog! you're hot. *&^%!
 4 (28.6%)
Some other place
 0 (0%)
I'm shitfaced
 1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: I need job advice  (Read 817 times)

Law9486

• View Profile
I need job advice
« on: January 10, 2007, 09:23:05 PM »
I was recently offered a job in another state. It is with a large company that has one in-house lawyer. I would be assisting that lawyer all summer and they would pay for housing and a small salary. I would like to stay in my home city for personal reasons, but in a job market with lots of law schools, I dont know the chances of getting another offer. The career services office says that it is probably, but I probably wouldnt get paid. What would you do? (I am a 1L.)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I need job advice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:24:47 PM »
Free housing plus some money on top is a LOT more than most of your classmates will get.  Plus, you'll be working with the in-house counsel.  Firms bend over backwards to get in good with in-house counsel of corporations, so a rec from that person will put you in very well with firms for 2L summer.

mizzmj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 01:38:16 AM »
You are very fortunate to have them pay you a salary AND cover your housing.  Not being able to afford housing is probably one of the top reasons people opt to not take quality out of state summer positions.  That said, you have to determine what is most important to you.  If you would probably get a position in-state that provides the same "experience" as the out of state position, your personal reasons might outweigh the salary that the out of state position is offering.  Either way, good luck.

Lucero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:10:43 AM »
One other consideration is that if you are not originally from the city where you are going to school and want to stay, and then leave for summer employment it will be very difficult to convince firms during 2L summer that you are actually committed to staying in the area. If you have family ties/have been there awhile, then take the job for sure b/c the firms will understand you took a great position and it had nothing to do w/ your long term plans. Even if you are from out of state, I'm not saying you shouldn't take it b/c it sounds like a sweet gig, but it is one more thing to consider.