Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 5% @ T1- can I get into T14?  (Read 1394 times)

GA-fan

Top 5% @ T1- can I get into T14?
« on: January 10, 2007, 02:40:20 PM »
I just got grades and I'm thinking about options here- can I move into the T14, and would it make sense to move from mid 40's? I sucked on the LSAT by estimation and chose not to retake, so I thought about transferring all along... Any chance at all to get fin aid?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5% @ T1- can I get into T14?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is ever a chance to get merit scholarships for transferring.  I think your grades make it possible, but think long and hard about it.  If you like your school and your school has recruiting in areas that you want to work, I would think very carefully before risking such a fantastic GPA just to move up a few spots.

Now, if you have aspirations like Federal Circuit clerkships or SCOTUS clerkships, then T14 is going to be a must, as well as being a bad-ass in general.

Transferring is tough--and I don't mean getting admitted--you risk losing a good GPA.  For me, it was worth it coming from a T4 (top 20%) and ending up a T1 (still top 1/3); but if you're Top 5% at a 40's, you can go almost anywhere.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:09:31 PM »
Transfer.  It's worth it, but you will lose your scholarship.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:48:39 PM »
You'll lose your financial aid, but it's totally worth it for OCI alone.  If you're top 5% it may be true that you can "go almost anywhere," but if "anywhere" happens to be a region your school isn't in, you'll have to travel to interview, which is a serious pain in the ass.  At a T14 the employers come to you for OCI, and you'll probably end up with more options at the T14 simply because there are a ton more firms recruiting there.  Also if you plan on going to any of the truly elite firms, clerking, teaching, etc., a T14 is going to help out a lot.

For what it's worth, I'm a 3L who transferred from a T2 to a T14 last year, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Edit: To answer your original question, yes you'll almost certainly be able to get into a T14.  Check out the databases on the transferapps group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 12:02:38 AM »
Your screen name is GA-fan.  You can't be at UGA though since noone knows their % until spring.  Intriguing...

correguachin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 12:09:11 AM »
T1000

I'm a cybernetic organism.  Living tissue over endoskeleton.

Somehow, whenever I hear people talking about T1s and T2s and T3s and T4s I cannot help but think of Arnie walking into that bar and asking that biker bubba for his clothes, his boots, and his motorcycle.

GA-fan

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
5% is just a guess for 3 A's and a B+- 3.85 GPA (on a 3.2 curve), the school posts the previous class's %'s for top 1/3. It's just an estimate, but a fairly accurate one... Last year 3.76 was top 5%. However, I think I'm staying put- I don't really want to work in NYC, Chi, or LA, and I'm guessing I'll at least get an interview at most the biglaw firms at secondary markets I'd want to work in. Plus, grading onto law review would make my life helluva lot easier.