Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which class is case-based?  (Read 2093 times)

goldilox741

• View Profile
Which class is case-based?
« on: January 10, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »
I read somewhere that either Civ Pro or Con Law (or maybe both?) was very case-based, not topic-based, so it's better to organize outlines by cases instead of issues. But I can't remember which class it was. Can someone please enlighten? And are there other classes that are the same way? Thanks!

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which class is case-based?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 11:55:01 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by topic-based, but I think the difference in my outlines was I outlined Con Law by cases, Supreme Court interpretation of the Constitution in essentially the fabric of Con Law.  However, Civ Pro-at least for me--was better organized by the Rules.

It really depends on what works best for you.  There really isn't a right or wrong way to do it.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
I read somewhere that either Civ Pro or Con Law (or maybe both?) was very case-based, not topic-based, so it's better to organize outlines by cases instead of issues. But I can't remember which class it was. Can someone please enlighten? And are there other classes that are the same way? Thanks!

Your professor is God. Organize the way he or she does.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:06:20 PM »
In a lot of your classes there will be a handful of landmark cases that you should know inside and out.  In con law, there are probably more landmark cases, up to several in each topic that you will study.  So I guess you could say that the cases are much more important to con law because that's really all you have to go by when deciding if something is constitutional.  In many other areas of law you will have a statute or a rule book to refer to.  In con law, you have to decide if the new fact situation is like one case or like another. 

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 11:57:28 PM »
Civ Pro is all rules, punctuated by a few landmark cases here and there. Your bible is the FRCP and whatever cases your prof tells you to remember.
Con Law is all cases interpreting the Constitution.

You decide how you want to handle it
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

Marcus2009

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 10:41:59 PM »
my civ pro professor seem to be really case based.  She only refers to the FRCP as a side story.