Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: reciprocity? what's up with this scam  (Read 1022 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
reciprocity? what's up with this scam
« on: January 10, 2007, 11:35:02 AM »
I'm looking at jobs in Miami and Tampa, and for all 4 schools (Stetson, UM, Nova, and St. Thomas) you either cannot get reciprocity until after Dec 1 of 3L or even if you can before that, you have to go to the career placement office--eg, no online tools.

WTF?  If I could go to your city, I wouldn't need your damn reciprocity.  And after Dec 1 of 3L, if I don't have a job by then, how about I worry about how to kill myself rather than getting reciprocity at your *&^% school.

Sorry had to vent...they are not *&^% schools

Felsen

• View Profile
Re: reciprocity? what's up with this scam
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 10:28:43 PM »
It is possible that the recipricocity agreement in this case is meant mostly for lawyers who have already graduated from school, and are looking for a job change.  In those cases, such agreements are more useful, as alumni are unlikely to travel back to their home school during the job hunt.  They'd rather work through a placement office in the city where they are currently working.

The placement offices also do not want to have to actively be helping students from another school compete for the same jobs as their own students.  This is less of an issue in the second semester of 3L and after graduation.  That's probably why they open it up at that point.