Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St John's Evening Program experience?  (Read 3825 times)

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
St John's Evening Program experience?
« on: January 09, 2007, 03:04:27 PM »
Hey All,
    Anyone around that's attending St John's evening program? What sort of workload do you face each day/week? Is there anything you would have wanted to do before going to law school that would have lightened your load a bit? I'm seriously considering going to St. John's for their evening program, Fall '07... I figured getting some feedback from those already there would be useful.
Thanks,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Rpcro25

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: St John's Evening Program experience?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:25:25 PM »
I too am interested in St. John's Evening Program. Im applying for Fall 07 and am very much on the border in terms of full time or part time. I think I have a fair shot at getting in full time but obviously much better shot at getting in part time. I really wanna go to St. John's!! A partner at the firm where I am currently employed went part time evening program and says good things about his experience. Can anyone weigh in on this? All feedback would help!!!

allcivilrights

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: St John's Evening Program experience?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 08:05:44 PM »
I am a fourth year evening student at St Johns and can tell you candidly that going to law school part time and working full time is definitely a challenge. My biggest peave about the whole experience is how St John's offers applicants who did not quite get the grades to get into the day program , evening program seats. It is great for them, because they can transfer to the day program after the first year, but it sucks for the evening students because we are competing for grades with students who go to school part time and don't work.

Evening students get screwed in different ways too. There are programs that we can not be part of (clinics, externships, etc). Because this is both potential for making contacts and experience to put on one's resume, this creates another disadvantage. I find that most people in the evening program are a little older, after attrition, and not as grade competitive or cut throat as the day students.

I am still looking for a job, and I really can't tell you how OCI is because I have never had good enough grades to get interviews. (Must be top 20-25% to even get your resume looked at)

Just remember that everyone you go to school with was one of the smartest people in their undergraduate classes (this is how they were able to get into law school) and not everyone can be in the top 20%.

I swore that I would be top 10% because of my work ethic, boy was I wrong, it isn't just hard work.

Good luck and I hope to see you at an alum function sometime.