Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else have the problem of alright grades but no A's?  (Read 985 times)

brownsfan05

• View Profile
Anyone else have the problem of alright grades but no A's?
« on: January 07, 2007, 11:08:22 PM »
For my first semester of law school, I received 3 B+s and a B.  There are no A-s, so a +B is a 3.5 and my GPA is 3.38.  My shot of being in the top 10% for the first year is done (top 10% is usually around 3.7) and that's fine, since law school is full of 90% of people who didn't make the top 10.  I am pissed that I got a B which took me off the Dean's list (need a 3.5) and that one of those B+s couldn't be an A, which would also be Dean's list and a more attractive transcript.

I'm going to go to profs to review my test and see what I did or didn't do which killed my A.  Anybody else having this problem?  Are A's in law school that hard to get or am I just a hack?   :-[

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone else have the problem of alright grades but no A's?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:22:01 AM »
B+ is a 3.33 at my school, you are lucky.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 05:30:29 PM »
Would you like some cheese w/ your whine?

I'm sorry but this post is so pathetic. You remind me of Reese Witherspoon's character on Election. She didn't win the election by one vote, so she did everything possible to find a mistake. Just accept the fact that you got a B+. Hold your head up high and tell yourself that you have just as good of a shot at landing the top jobs as those in the top 10%.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 05:45:56 PM »
It looks like your problem is that your school grade inflates like there's no tommorow.

And yes..A's in lawschool are hard to get. (but by the way the curve looks at your school, it doesn't look as hard to get as at some schools)

Welcome to lawschool. There's always someone better than you. Nobody books every class. But you'll be fine. 

For my first semester of law school, I received 3 B+s and a B.  There are no A-s, so a +B is a 3.5 and my GPA is 3.38.  My shot of being in the top 10% for the first year is done (top 10% is usually around 3.7) and that's fine, since law school is full of 90% of people who didn't make the top 10.  I am pissed that I got a B which took me off the Dean's list (need a 3.5) and that one of those B+s couldn't be an A, which would also be Dean's list and a more attractive transcript.

I'm going to go to profs to review my test and see what I did or didn't do which killed my A.  Anybody else having this problem?  Are A's in law school that hard to get or am I just a hack?   :-[

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:06:31 AM »
You should ignore the tendency to worry about strict letter grades. You have to have a This isn't like undergrad where you have to have all A's to be considered a really good student -  you are on a curve so there are only so many to give. The only thing you should be worrying about is your class rank.

This is a common problem with 1Ls as you have to have a very high GPA generally to get into law school which makes it hard to accept that a 3.33 and lots of Bs (or whatever it may be) can actually be really good if you have a good class rank.