Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JAG and BIGLAW  (Read 3426 times)

uart

JAG and BIGLAW
« on: January 07, 2007, 02:05:15 AM »
I'm a 0L, so pardon my complete ignorance, but I'm a tad curious:

I know that a lot of law students do a clerkship for a few years before going into private practice. I've also heard that BIGLAW seems to like hiring former clerks.

Does the JAG corps have a similar reputation with BIGLAW? If someone were to enter the Army/Navy/AF JAG after graduating law school, would they have a lot of trouble getting a BIGLAW position once their commitment was over? How does BIGLAW feel about candidates who take that path?

drbuff123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JAG and BIGLAW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 06:16:08 PM »
I don't have any practical experience, but from what I've read on these boards if you do JAG then you aren't very marketable to firms once your commitment is over.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Re: JAG and BIGLAW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
I don't have any practical experience, but from what I've read on these boards if you do JAG then you aren't very marketable to firms once your commitment is over.

Yeah, you don't have any experience.  JAG officers are highly prized, especially for litigation purposes because they have more experience than most who spend there first 4 years in a law firm.  I know many former JAG officers who are doing very well.