Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fall 2007 1Ls  (Read 46419 times)

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • it rubs the lotion on its skin
    • View Profile
Re: Fall 2007 1Ls
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 05:57:40 PM »
MSU 2010

toasterking

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 03:20:39 PM »
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070220/NEWS06/70220029

Bye-Bye Ave Maria!

Withdrawing immediately.

Im curious what this does to their 0L class... One of my friends who went there was told when he was admitted that they wouldnt move until all their admitted classes have graduated..

GA-fan

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 03:50:19 PM »
I am a 1L at another Florida Law school... But the biggest thing to consider here is that there is no well-established alumni base for hte law school in SW florida, which may make it difficult to get a job in the area. Also, the Florida market is literally saturated with law schools (especially because none of those schools place much outside Florida). I think we now have 9 (?). I think Ave Maria is a very good t3, but you'll be competing at a minimum with Stetson, UF, Miami, and FSU grads for every job. A little scary...

JD_LawSchool

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 04:06:28 PM »
when will this move to southwest florida actually occurr?

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 07:31:19 PM »
I think Ave Maria is a very good t3...

Ahem... US News would disagree with you. They think Ave Maria is T4
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

GA-fan

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 07:37:11 PM »
Personal opinion then perhaps :-) I stand corrected. It seems to have a very good reputation and to be well known in comparison to other T3s and T4s.

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 10:01:56 PM »
Ok to clear up some confusion, Ave Maria students will NOT be competing with these people because lawyers, judges, firms, etc in FL have already expressed happiness at the idea that htey will get to hire Ave students. One lawyer actually went as far to say that he was glad he doesn't have to hire anyone else anymore.

There may be other schools in FL, but they are just not as good as Ave is.

As far as when the move will be: officially summer 2009. They are currently forming transition teams to make the move smooth. Current 1Ls will graduate from Ann Arbor, people entering next year will graduate in Fl, and so forth. The move is supposedly a no-go if for some reason ABA says they will not keep the school accredited because that is a major concern, as it should be.

Also, the people that were promised to graduate in MI WILL graduate here, people that start next year were never promised that. I am glad to answer any other questions you might have.

Oh and also, representatives of the various legal communities in FL will be coming up here in the coming weeks to try to get current students to already start working for them (especially the guy that said he doesn't want to have to keep choosing the grads from the other schools).  Everyone from AA is allowed to keep their job, and apparently there is talk of a package they will get in order to help with their move.

Umm, I guess that's all I can think of right now that peoploe specifically asked. Feel free to ask anymore you want to know.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 10:12:03 PM »
There may be other schools in FL, but they are just not as good as Ave is.

You mean there aren't other schools in So Florida with a 67% acceptance rate and a 75th percentile LSAT score of 160?
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 10:13:43 PM »
I didn't say that, I said that the law community in FL is happy to see Ave moving down there and actually want to start recruiting now because they don't want to stay stuck with the choices that they have for people working in FL.

Also, Ave will stay a national law school and will start attracting people from the Caribbean, South America, and such for their LLM program.

toasterking

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 08:34:22 AM »
Wow, some very angry blogs about the whole issue:

http://www.avewatch.org/files/category-3.html
http://fumare.blogspot.com/