Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fall 2007 1Ls  (Read 46521 times)

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • it rubs the lotion on its skin
    • View Profile
Fall 2007 1Ls
« on: January 05, 2007, 01:29:33 PM »
Hello all.

Just thought I would start a thread for Fall 2007 admitted students (decided or undecided).  For those who have decided Ave Maria is for them, what helped with your decision?  For those still unsure, what are your reservations and what other schools are you considering?
MSU 2010

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
Re: Fall 2007 1Ls
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:39:16 PM »
Hey there, I'm currently a 1L. Have you decided to come? What other schools are you looking at, any questions i can answer?

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:36:35 PM »
Hey there, I'm currently a 1L. Have you decided to come? What other schools are you looking at, any questions i can answer?

I haven't made my decision yet.  I am looking at most of the law schools in MI, as I will be commuting.  Ave Maria has offered me close to a full scholarship, MSU has offered me a full-ride, UDM offered me about 60% scholarship, and I'm waiting to hear if Wayne State will give me any $.

The things about AMSOL that appeal to me are the awesome faculty, small student body, opportunity to be "the start of something new", large # of married students, etc.  However, I am very concerned with the Board of Directors drama concerning the move to Florida.  I know they made the promise to your class that they wouldn't move before graduation...I'm kinda waiting for a similar promise to the class of 2010.  

What are your thoughts about this?  How has your experience been so far with the school in general?
MSU 2010

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:34:27 PM »
My experiences with the school so far have been awesome. I really like it here. As far as the FL thing goes, yeah, it's kinda high drama, lol, but it's wierd, it comes and goes as day and night. If noone's talking about the move then noone's talking about it, if you know what I mean.

As far as the classes and everything I would say they are top notch. One of the kids in my class has a friend at Wayne State I think and he said that after talking with an Ave Maria 1L he can tell that we learn much more and have it tougher as far as standards and such. I hope that was a compliment, but it made me happy to know that :)

Anything else you'd like to know?

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 09:47:35 AM »
What is scheduling like - ie if you are in Contracts MW @ 2:00pm does that pretty much dictate every other class time you have? Are there sections like at larger schools? 

Has there been any information about when they are making a final decision regarding the move?  I imagine the on-going debate would be unsettling for current students as well as prospective students like myself.
MSU 2010

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 09:53:28 PM »
They are supposed to make the decision soon.

As far as classes go, there are two sections for classes and four for each section for RWA.

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:32:37 PM »
I received a scholarship offer this evening for Ave Maria. Can anyone tell me what the curve is? It requires a 3.0 GPA and I'm wondering what the liklihood of a 3.0 is. Thanks :)

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:07:29 PM »
It works on a B median, which means the middle grade in each class has to be a B. This means most people end up with a B. very few A's and very few below C as well.

molaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 02:59:58 PM »
Have you heard of many people losing their scholarships after their first year?  Because with a 3.0 GPA requirement and over 60% of the students on a scholarship (according to the ABA) it seems like it would be impossible for a good chunk of people to keep their scholarship beyond the first year.
MSU 2010

sehrwunderbar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 06:24:59 PM »
Well, I'm not sure about that. I know that we have a B curve, so i guess that's 3.0 which would mean that 50% have about that and 25% have higher and 25% lower, so only if you are in the bottom 25%? But I'm not sure about that. haven't heard many people talking about that actually. Also, they are decreasing scholarships since the school is becoming established, so I don't think that your number is correct. maybe call admissions and ask?