Law School Discussion

$475/week?

olive

Re: $475/week?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 11:11:32 AM »
Update: I talked them into giving me some time to get back to them, continued interviewing, and ended up accepting an offer from a big firm

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 01:32:27 PM »
You're going to learn less than a smaller firm, IMO.  Biglaw SA gigs aren't about teaching you anything.  Sure, you'll write some memos and learn how a firm works.  But SA programs are designed to let the attorneys get to know you so they can decide if they want to invite you back, and to entice you to love the firm and accept an offer.

Teaching is secondary.  The money is nice though.

(and there are exceptions to this; but talk to most 3Ls worked w/ similar firms, and you'll probably find people agree)

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 06:25:27 PM »
pwn3d l33t!!!!!

I just received an offer from a medium-sized firm (large in the context of the area, but only about 45 lawyers) for a 1L summer position. The pay for a 1L summer associate is $475/week.

I'm assuming since 1L firm jobs are hard to come by that there is no point in attempting to negotiate salary. Is this a normal/respectable salary? (it seems really low!)

I'm not sure how long I have to get back to them. Thoughts?

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 10:44:35 AM »
Nice!  Congrats on your job.  You will be awesome at legal writing and research by the end of the summer!

eray01

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 11:58:58 AM »
I'm in kind of in a reverse situation. I'm a 2L. I had an offer at the branch office of a large firm. The pay was $1500/week. In this area of the country that's about as high as the large firms go. The firm doesn't practice in the area I want to practice in. They do litigation which is what I want to do, but I want to focus mostly on criminal defense and civil rights. They do mostly insurance defense out of this branch office. I wound up taking a job for only $500/week because it was with a group of attorneys who are supposed to be the hottest thing going in criminal defense around here right now. My friend worked for them last summer, and both he and the interviewing attorney said they give their clerks a lot of responsibility, a lot of constant criticism, and very focused mentoring. There's also some issues about location and job possibilites after graduation, but I'll spare you the details on that. The bottom line is it may seem like a dumb move from a pay standpoint, but I thought it would put me in a better position in the long run.

As for the poster, you're in an awesome position right now. If you don't like biglaw, you can still do something else and you'll have that on your resume. You're darn lucky to have that job. It implies you do really well. Congrats.