Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not a good first semester...any advice?  (Read 1775 times)

gpasler2006

• View Profile
Not a good first semester...any advice?
« on: January 04, 2007, 03:00:35 PM »
So, I was lucky enough to get a full scholarship to a T1 school, but my first semester was awful.  I had some very serious family problems, and I just did not perform well.  I started off taking 15 credits, but I talked to the Dean and he let me drop a course and take it the following year.  I really didn't do much work the first two months of law school due to the afforementioned problems, but for the last month I studied almost every waking hour, trying to make up for the work I had missed.  I haven't received my exam grades yet, but I don't think I did too well.  I realize that I will probably lose the scholarship, but I do not want to flunk out my first semester.  I have dealt with the problems and I feel that I am ready to turn it around second semester.  My question is:  Do many people fail out after their first semester?  At my school, if you receive below a 1.0 first semester you're gone.  Is it hard to get that low of a GPA?  I wish I would have taken a leave of abscence now :( 

tenth8sphere

Re: Not a good first semester...any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:09:29 PM »
Uhm... you're at a tier 1? You probably CAN'T fail. I'm at a tier 1 and our curve is centered at 3.2. The lowest exam graded even GIVEN is a C-. To fall out of good standing or fail you have to not show up for the exams, plain and simple.

You probably stand no chance at all of failing, or of losing your scholarship (depending on what you need to keep it - straight C's would be a 2.0.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:17:06 PM »
just because you think you didn't do well doesn't mean you failed. I had an exam where I ran out of time, felt I mised too many issues and was just CERTAIN that I got a C or worse. Today I found out I got an A in that class. If you studied alot at the end and did practice exams you probably did fine.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:17:18 PM »
Don't freak out until you get your grades.  They may be better than you think!

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 01:47:25 AM »
You didn't fail.  If you are T1, they so rarely fail anyone.

Anyway, my advice (obviously) would be to try to do better next semester.  See what types of academic support your school has.  But my absolutely best advice is to get GOOD outlines from people who did well in the class before.  Join a club and make friends with 2Ls and 3Ls.  Expand your outline network.  Say, "What class did you do the best in?  Can I have that outline?"  The best is to compile several outlines of people who did well and spend the semester making one master outline.

You can explain during interviews that family issues cause your poor first semester grades.  If there is a significant change, they will totally buy it.  Plus, you are at a good school to begin with!  And MANY firms, even top firms, aren't that big of grade-snobs.  If they like you, they'll take you.  I know this to be true from experience of many classmates in the bottom half who have jobs lined up at big firms.

It's all going to be okay!

**hugs**

lawkid09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »
I agree with all the above posters!

Don't freak out until you get your grades back...and even if they are worse that you expected, in the instance that your family problems are over, you will be able to perform really well second semester!

You can also try speaking to the Dean and see what suggestions he/she may have on the best way to explain a poor first semester performance to future employers. its not as if they didnt know about your situation.

here's a big HUG for you as well.

If there's one thing i've learned, is that we will all be okay.

:)

that might have been sappy--but sometimes, that's what you need.  :-*

Benashja

• AOL Instant Messenger - JustJoshing11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »
So, I was lucky enough to get a full scholarship to a T1 school, but my first semester was awful.  I had some very serious family problems, and I just did not perform well.  I started off taking 15 credits, but I talked to the Dean and he let me drop a course and take it the following year.  I really didn't do much work the first two months of law school due to the afforementioned problems, but for the last month I studied almost every waking hour, trying to make up for the work I had missed.  I haven't received my exam grades yet, but I don't think I did too well.  I realize that I will probably lose the scholarship, but I do not want to flunk out my first semester.  I have dealt with the problems and I feel that I am ready to turn it around second semester.  My question is:  Do many people fail out after their first semester?  At my school, if you receive below a 1.0 first semester you're gone.  Is it hard to get that low of a GPA?  I wish I would have taken a leave of abscence now :( 

I'm sorry but SHU is not a T1 school, but even with that said, i'm sure you didn't FAIL
Touchdown (accepted): Rutgers-Newark, Saint Louis, Michigan State, Albany, Gonzaga ($5500), Tulsa ($10000), Florida Coastal ($12000)
3 and Out (waitlisted): Penn State, Case Western
Fumble (rejected): Denver, Miami, IUPUI

gpasler2006

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 05:38:42 PM »
Its not?  Maybe I haven't been on this board long enough or don't pay attention to USNews law school rankings.  I thought T1 was something like Top 100 or 75.  Seton Hall is 70?  Does that make it Tier 2?  I feel silly now :(

gpasler2006

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 05:39:57 PM »
Also, thank you for the encouragement!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 08:03:06 PM »
Its not?  Maybe I haven't been on this board long enough or don't pay attention to USNews law school rankings.  I thought T1 was something like Top 100 or 75.  Seton Hall is 70?  Does that make it Tier 2?  I feel silly now :(

T1 is top 50.  Seton Hall is T2.