Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who else is dying to see their grades?  (Read 3259 times)

txlawstu

• View Profile
Re: Who else is dying to see their grades?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 08:31:57 PM »
Anyone know why law schools wait so long to give out grades?  Students in other programs get their grades earlier.

Most schools give grades based on the classes performance.  You are not graded on the quality of your work alone, but rather by the quality of your work compared the the quality of the work of your classmates.  Then they have to adjust the grades to fit the school's determined curve.  In other programs it's like undergraduate where you get what you get.  If everyone does A quality work, then everyone gets an A.  Therefore, the profs in those programs only read your exam essays once.  Most of my profs say they read the exams a minimum of three times to determine grades.  So, an example, 3 times 90 (number of people in the class) is 270 essays, times 2 (for 2 essays) and that's 540 essays to read for just one class.  And, that is if they only gave you two essays.  Most profs have at least two classes each semester so 1080 essays to read in a month?  I'm not really sure how they do it myself.

moonchigger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 03:42:17 AM »

I am sure you did fine on the test.  I felt just like you after it was over - completely traumatized.  Like you, I got an A on the midterm but thought FOR SURE that I would end up w/a B in the class after that awful final.  The first question was a "what the f..k" kind of question (IMO).

Bite the bullent - look at your grade.  Im sure you did great. 

So, I got drunk tonight and bit the bullet...A, I can't believe it.  After that test I thought I had no shot in hell at getting an A.  Now, I know I screwed myself though on the rest of my grades though.

NotReally

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 09:49:38 AM »
You all whine about waiting for grades, but we don't get our grades until February. 

They are actually released as they come in and most everyone has one sometime in January, but the deadline for grade submissions by the professors is around the first or second week in January. 

Most teachers wait until the deadline date to submit their grades and some wait even longer.   

To top it all off, we get almost 6 weeks off for Christmas break so I don't have a clue why professors can't get their grades out sooner than that............

gobig

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 12:06:20 PM »
Got my first grade back and I danced around my apartment when I saw that it was an A. This semester was the hardest in law school so far, with classes, job hunt, law review, etc. I'm really excited that I was able to do all the other things and still do well in class. Now I just have to wait for the rest to roll in...

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 08:26:27 PM »
Congrats Moonchigger and gobig!!  Such a great feeling....  :)

2L

rev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 09:23:02 PM »
they dont release *any* of our grades until *all* of them are in  :P

tenth8sphere

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 02:59:45 AM »
they dont release *any* of our grades until *all* of them are in  :P

Rev, sounds like my school. The rumors are out that my class may see something tomorrow.

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 08:12:51 PM »
I just got another grade - an A- in legal writing. 

So far and A and an A-.  Now I am even more anxious to see my other grades because I just upped my standard.  I would rather get the better grades last so I dont have to feel disappointed after all the excitement so far.

Thanks for letting me share my excitement on this board...it is great to be able to talk about grades somewhere!

How is everyone else's anxiety coming along???
2L

NotReally

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Bump.....
long after you all have your grades or at least a good part of your grades, I have nothing, but memories of bad finals..... 3.5 weeks down and 3 weeks to go..... AWESOME... I guess I am glad that I am a 2l and have my summer plans lined out nicely and my grades are of only secondary importance at this point....

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2007, 10:11:03 PM »
no grades yet here... we were first told we'd have them any time after jan. 5th but definitely before feb. 5th. now they said jan. 26th... waiting sucks