Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 30 school to T14  (Read 892 times)

doublec

• View Profile
Top 30 school to T14
« on: January 03, 2007, 11:53:28 AM »
Just seeing what class rank would someone need to transfer from a top 30 school to a T14 school? 

What about a top 20 school?

Thanks

tenth8sphere

Re: Top 30 school to T14
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 12:04:49 PM »
Why? I mean, obviously a t14 will have some better opportunities straight at graduation - but there are other considerations. Are you going to biglaw? If not, it probably won't matter. Are you getting a scholarship? You'll lose it when you transfer. Do you LIKE where you are? Starting over at a new school can be a pain, you won't have been through 'the one L' with people at your new school.

I certainly wouldn't bother with a transfer from a t30 to a t20 (outside the t14), there's just no way you can cut it that would make it worth it (in my opinion). Moving expenses and everything listed above.

If you're transferring just because of some prestige issue, I would highly reconsider. A top 30 school is already excellent. Depending on your school you probably have good reputation and starting salaries. Be careful to weigh your circumstances before deciding to transfer out of something already in the tier 1 - it may not be worth the trouble.

As for what you'd need, the rumors I've heard go somewhere around top 1/3rd.

lawmang

• View Profile
Re: Top 30 school to T14
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 10:12:08 PM »
I am wondering the same thing as the OP, and while I think you are generally right, tenth8sphere, my curiosity stems from a desire to move closer to my family. I didn't think it'd be a problem when I chose to go to my current school (which I love, by the way), but due to unfortunate changes in circumstance, I think i won't be able to forgive myself if I don't move home.

There are 2 T14 schools near my family, so I'm wondering what it might take to transfer from a T25 to a T14. Of course, I will likely transfer anyway if things don't improve even if I can't get into a higher ranked school (there are some great top 100 schools in the area), but obviously I'd like to go to the "best" school I am eligible to attend. From websites, I see that many T14 schools say that they accept students from top 5-10% of the class- is that right for T25 schools?

Thanks so much, and good luck to everyone.