Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who else is getting a gut?  (Read 3568 times)

up_late

• View Profile
Re: Who else is getting a gut?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 01:05:08 AM »
Losing weight through calorie control and a little bit of exercise is completely possible, no matter WHAT specific food those calories come from.  There are important reasons to consider whether your calories come from carbs, fat, or protein, and what kind of carbs or fat you eat, but weight loss (or gain) can happen regardless of where the calories come from.

Exercise is good not only for burning calories but also for curbing your appetite and giving you something to do in your spare time that is incompatible with eating.  I have also heard that exercise improves concentration, and I suspect that may be true, since my best grades in law school came in the only semester when I was working out regularly.  My new year's resolution is to start exercisig again.

The US Dept of Health and Human Services uses a statistic called a BMI to determine whether a person is an appropriate weight for their height.  A calculator is located here:  http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/.  Use this to get a rough idea of what weight you should aim for, but remember that (1) even a skinny person isn't healthy if they're sedentary, and (2) an extremely muscular person may be healthy and yet have a BMI that indicates they're overweight.

Good luck!

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 12:07:02 PM »
Hey, what's up. I put on about 25 pounds first semester (6'1" went from 215 to 240). I chalk it up to the fact that I was eating like crap and not working out.  If you had a healthy lifestyle prior to lawschool, I think you should have better luck second semester. myself, I prioritized studying over everything and spent the first semester planning out how I need to spend my time.  now that I know how and how much I need to study (and since I can brief about 20 times faster) I'm not too worried about dropping the weight second semester. so my advice is to just make time to cook the right foods and don't let the lawschool stress create a situation where food can be used as a crutch.
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »
Got myself a Nintendo Wii and have been addicted to the tennis game. I lost two pounds over the weekend. Have been dieting for about 3 months and lost weight fast for the first month, but then got to the point where I wasn't losing any more. The Nintendo has given me a good cardio workout, and I finally lost a few more pounds. I plan to play at least 30 minutes every day.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »
Got myself a Nintendo Wii and have been addicted to the tennis game. I lost two pounds over the weekend. Have been dieting for about 3 months and lost weight fast for the first month, but then got to the point where I wasn't losing any more. The Nintendo has given me a good cardio workout, and I finally lost a few more pounds. I plan to play at least 30 minutes every day.

Wii Tennis is ridiculously fun, and it definitely gets you moving.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 02:13:49 PM »
Jumboshrimps on calorie counting:

The trouble with focusing on the number of calories one consumes is that it requires an obsesively specific attention to what one eats. What is needed for weight loss is a more general attention to what one eats. This is because we are more likely to sustain practices that can be followed rather passively, without constant analysis and rationalization.

By counting calories, the dieter forces himself to think about food when the exact opposite is needed; he needs to change his paradigm on eating so that the practice can be healthfully pushed to the background of his life. Essential to this process is eating to ones satisfaction-- being full and not hungry.

The true cause of obesity in the Western world is the massive consumption of refined carbohydrates. As dieticians have come to recognize in recent years, these foods are addictive. Moreover, they are not as satiating as foods high in protein and fat; therefore one must consume more of them to avoid hunger. The mass marketers of refined carbohydrates are extremely adept at making them look harmless. The emptiness of their claims is apparent when one merely considers that the nutrients these foods contained before processing must be pumped back into them after processing; else the refined carbohydrate consumer would persish from malnutrition. No food producer would dare claim that these foods are as nutritious after processing as they are before it.

Thus, by avoiding refined carbohydrates we do four things: 1) We make ourselves sustainably dependent on healthier food-energy sources, that is, fats, proteins and whole grains; 2) We eat less; 3) We stop obsessing about what we eat; and 4) We reject and boycott the mass marketing campaigns of the junk-food producers, who have convinced even the US government that calorie-counting is superior to changing the way we eat.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 07:08:28 PM »
I've pulled a lot of all-nighters already in the first semester, and in November had mostly nights where I got 4-5 hours of sleep. Did not eat as well as I could. Consequently, when I came home I found that I was 10 pounds underweight.

theking

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 09:44:28 PM »
So I am genetically predisposed to have somewhat of a gut, but it's getting a little out of control.  I'm 5-9, I was around 150 before law school and now I'm at 165.  I know I'll never have a 6 pack but I would like to at least lose some of the fat.  I was figuring since I'm in my late 20s I need to take in less than 1800 calories a day to slowly lose weight.  I'm moderately active (usually walk a total of 3-4 miles a day).  Any advice about what I can eat to cut down on the gut?  I don't have the time or inclination to cook vegetables and I've heard that canned vegetables have basically no nutritional value- so should I just go with PB and J and spaghetti and other stuff that's not very high in fat?  Any advice much appreciated...

I was 270 pounds and got down to 204. All I did was figure out my daily caloric requirements and adjust my intake to have a energy deficit of 1-2 pounds a month. (3500 calories per pound)

www.caloriecontrol.org is a resource that I often used.

I'm in 3L now, and I've gained slightly over 30 pounds during lawschool. It's a tough environment to loose weight in.

Good luck.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 01:49:24 PM »
I find law school to be an easy environment for controling your weight.  The schedule is flexible enough to fit in exercise every day and it is one great way to relieve stress.  I don't buy it when people claim that they are too busy to exercise.  Even while preparing for finals there are at least a few free hours in the day.

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 10:38:45 PM »
I find law school to be an easy environment for controling your weight.  The schedule is flexible enough to fit in exercise every day and it is one great way to relieve stress.  I don't buy it when people claim that they are too busy to exercise.  Even while preparing for finals there are at least a few free hours in the day.

Yes there is time to exercise.  I think one of the culprits was all those disgusting free lunches I ate- those things probably had about 1500 calories a pop.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 06:33:41 AM »
Even while preparing for finals there are at least a few free hours in the day.

This is true unless you're a part-time night student who has a full-time job and a family to provide for.  Whatever hours I have left over after law school, job, and family are devoted to sleeping, and I rarely sleep more than 6 hours per night.  Thus, I do not have time to exercise.  Compared to my schedule, full-time students' schedules are a joke.