Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who else is getting a gut?  (Read 3611 times)

sarbinson1

• View Profile
Who else is getting a gut?
« on: December 31, 2006, 10:18:44 PM »
So I am genetically predisposed to have somewhat of a gut, but it's getting a little out of control.  I'm 5-9, I was around 150 before law school and now I'm at 165.  I know I'll never have a 6 pack but I would like to at least lose some of the fat.  I was figuring since I'm in my late 20s I need to take in less than 1800 calories a day to slowly lose weight.  I'm moderately active (usually walk a total of 3-4 miles a day).  Any advice about what I can eat to cut down on the gut?  I don't have the time or inclination to cook vegetables and I've heard that canned vegetables have basically no nutritional value- so should I just go with PB and J and spaghetti and other stuff that's not very high in fat?  Any advice much appreciated...

jsh26

• View Profile
Re: Who else is getting a gut?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 11:02:24 PM »
Try ExLax. I've heard it's excellent.

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 11:14:12 PM »
i'm no nutrition expert, but i'm 5'10 and 145 pounds, so i feel like i can share.

spaghetti is high in carbs and will lead to weight gain. PB & J sandwiches have carbs (from the bread) and fat (from the PB).

instead, i suggest you substitute tofu-based fake meat for real meat, and snack on raw or dried fruits and vegetables (like carrots, celery, peppers, pineapple, berries). for salty snacks, try unbuttered or lightly buttered popcorn instead of chips or pretzels. drink lots of water - it helps reduce cravings.

alternatively, you could exercise more. adding a cardiovascular workout to your walking will improve your heart health in addition to helping you burn more calories.

So I am genetically predisposed to have somewhat of a gut, but it's getting a little out of control.  I'm 5-9, I was around 150 before law school and now I'm at 165.  I know I'll never have a 6 pack but I would like to at least lose some of the fat.  I was figuring since I'm in my late 20s I need to take in less than 1800 calories a day to slowly lose weight.  I'm moderately active (usually walk a total of 3-4 miles a day).  Any advice about what I can eat to cut down on the gut?  I don't have the time or inclination to cook vegetables and I've heard that canned vegetables have basically no nutritional value- so should I just go with PB and J and spaghetti and other stuff that's not very high in fat?  Any advice much appreciated...
case '09

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 11:46:12 PM »
Try frozen veggies if you want something cooked with dinner.  Spend the few extra dollars for baby carrots, cut celery, broccoli florets, etc.  Try to buy the small individual serving size bags of popcorn.  Basically, try to make healthy options as convenient as possible, and try to control portion sizes, no matter what you eat.

Oh, one thing that works well for me is to eat off of smaller plates; go with your side plates instead of your dinner plate.  It will help with the portion control.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:28:01 AM »
1800 calories??  Only if you're a bird.  You actually have to eat a certain amount of food to lose weight, otherwise your metabolism will slow down to compensate for the lack of food you're putting into your body and you will actully gain by eating less if you eat too little.  I'd say 1800 is too little for an adult male.  Try to hit the weight room, that helps also. 

LongShot

• I'm Tired' all this jibba jabba
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 01:52:21 PM »
It's a losing battle...

Many of my friends have taken up smoking from the pressures of law school.  I too have put on about 12.  Still, I think that eating a little too much is better than filling your lungs with toxins.  I have managed to drop much of the weight during the break.  A little cardio (hard cardio for 20-30 minutes 4 times a week) and try to make a big salad at least one meal per day.  with chicken or turkey

I feel your pain.  Hopefully by the end of this, my pockets will stick out further than my belly!!!!

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »
I'm getting a gut. I'm 5'8", 180 pounds and growing. Fvck it, I'm married.

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 03:40:21 PM »
It's a losing battle...

Many of my friends have taken up smoking from the pressures of law school.  I too have put on about 12.  Still, I think that eating a little too much is better than filling your lungs with toxins.  I have managed to drop much of the weight during the break.  A little cardio (hard cardio for 20-30 minutes 4 times a week) and try to make a big salad at least one meal per day.  with chicken or turkey

I feel your pain.  Hopefully by the end of this, my pockets will stick out further than my belly!!!!

Thanks all for the advice. I just got a gym membership and will plan to use the elliptical 3-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes.  I figure this burns about 300 calories and also speeds up metabolism for the whole day.  I have heard, as someone mentioned here, that merely decreasing calories doesn't work because your body adjusts- but I have also heard of people losing weight on Weight Watchers through calorie control alone.  I guess I'll have to experiment with a few things- and stop spending so much time going to class. 

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »
You most certainly can lose weight by simply changing your eating habits, but eventually, your body will get used to the amount of calories it's getting and thus, you won't lose any more weight because you'll be at what they call a plateau.  However, with adding just a little bit of exercise, Weight Watchers will certainly work, and I should know:  I lost approx. 60 lbs using the program.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 05:20:16 PM »
Pay attention to the glycemic content of what you eat. NEVER eat white bread if you want to lose weight (this of course includes twinkies and stuff like that). And it goes without saying that sugar is to be avoided, especially now that the holidays are over.

I lost a buch of weight before law school by increasing my fat/ protein intake and cutting out all white flour and nearly all sugar. In the past few months, I started eating that refined crap again and putting on the pounds.

Calorie counting is a guaranteed loser.