Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting ahead during break - good idea?  (Read 781 times)

lwoods

• View Profile
Getting ahead during break - good idea?
« on: December 27, 2006, 04:51:22 PM »

Although my professor hasn't sent out grades yet, he has already sent out the syllabus for the second semester of our property class. Since it was one of my hardest classes, I'm thinking of getting ahead by starting some of the reading during my break. I think that will give me more time to absorb the material and spend more time learning it.

What do you guys think? Good idea or bad idea?

holler21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting ahead during break - good idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:42:31 PM »
Personally, I'm not a big fan of getting ahead; while it is an admirable strategy, I think you have to be careful about getting too far ahead and then forgetting about the earlier cases you already read.

Instead, perhaps you might want to reinforce your reading by following along in a commercial outline and/or hornbook. 

Hope that helps.  You might also want to consult your professor if you feel comfortable asking him/her.

Good luck.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 05:58:26 PM »
I think if you have the reading assingments, it certainly would be benefeficial to read now while you can. Yeah, you are still going to have to review during the first few weeks of class, but at least you can have a bulk of the reading for those weeks out of the way and can focus on supplemmental materials to really understand the material.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

pistolpete23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 07:27:10 PM »

I think Examples & Explanations and Law in a Flash make the most sense right now. No need to read too far ahead and get over your head.

THE POWER IS YOURS!

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 10:04:47 PM »
It depends on your objective.  If you want to get ahead because you really want to just focus on learning the material, meaning you want to truly understand it, then by all means go for it.  If you only want to get ahead to gain an edge over your equally competitive classmates, then I say no. 

Either way, you're going to forget a lot of what you read anyway, meaning that you'll have to re-read the stuff.  Consequently, you won't be gaining any edge whatsoever.  Just relax during this long break.  Sometimes the best way to gain the upperhand is by resting, so do so:  you'll thank yourself later.

pistolpete23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 10:45:05 PM »

I don't find that reading Examples & Explanations is that stressful or wearing. In fact, I think that it's foolish not to at least do some preliminary reading before the semester gets going. You'd be surprised how much information you can retain cognitively. Repeated exposure to the material is the most effective way to remember it.

Lose the false sense of security.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 07:57:20 AM »
If you really, really want to get ahead, I wouldn't do any more than maybe the first week and a half, plus making sure you have 15 minutes or so before class to review it.

Personally, I'd take the time off to do things you enjoy and try to recharge.  Property is going to be the last thing you're going to want to think about soon; why rush it?  OR try reading through the E&E or something, to get an idea of what you're going to cover this semester.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 08:51:52 AM »
I think if you're going to read law during the break, it shouldn't be a casebook, hornbook, or supplemental outline.  Go run some specific searches on Amazon and look for some lighter reading on subjects like eminent domain, if you haven't covered them.

I'll read ahead the first week or so, but I always try to get my reading done in week-long chunks.