Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Writing Grade  (Read 5766 times)

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Writing Grade
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 08:29:46 PM »
I have seen lawyers say that it is the most useful class.

I didnt learn anything in it last semester and i have a feeling i wont this semester. I have been debating going through and reading my legal writing textbook over the break but havent done it yet.
Attending: OU

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 08:37:08 PM »
I have also been told how important it is. I mean, what else are we gonna do fresh out of law school... litigate??? Umm, doubtful. I have been told we will have many hours of research and memo writing to give our lives pleasure.

Texas88

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 10:36:54 PM »
But the other thing I hear is that learning legal research and writing is really important but that the class doesn't do the trick. What really educates law students is actually doing legal research your first summer.

Therefore legal research is our most useful 1L skill, but the class is far from the most useful. IMO

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 11:05:46 PM »
It's important, but if you suck a$$ in your other classes then it does't do you any good. Also, on the flip side, if you just do so so in your legal writing class and you rock every other class, then it becomes less of a factor.

Bottom line is that your 1L year is taken as a whole. No one class defines it.

Legal Writing is 2 units at my school and I was wondering if the legal writing grade is considered as "important" as the other classes.  I mean besides it being less units than a class like torts, is Legal Writing considered to be equal to the other classes or less important?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 12:03:08 AM »
But the other thing I hear is that learning legal research and writing is really important but that the class doesn't do the trick. What really educates law students is actually doing legal research your first summer.

Therefore legal research is our most useful 1L skill, but the class is far from the most useful. IMO

I think it may depend on the school and their reputation.  If a school is known for having a good LWR program, firms in the area will likely be aware of this, which means the legal writing grade will be more important.

Also, the trend towards emphasizing writing grades is new; my LWR teacher last year spent most of his career at a major west coast firm.  He mentioned last year that the hiring partner, who was a close friend, had told him they were beginning to shift their policies for screening applicants in favor of stronger LWR grades.  So it may not make or break you now, but it may become more of a factor in the future.

lwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 12:38:54 PM »
I did pretty well this semester in LRW so I'm hoping that will help me get a good summer job. Anyone have any other experience(s) RE: how a good or bad LRW affects getting a summer job?

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 10:24:19 PM »
our legal research (1 unit) class was not curved. everyone can get an A. but i just started legal writing (2 units) and it's a forced curve! it seems to me very important and our prof. tells us it's the most important class.

Bored 3L

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 02:13:56 PM »
Legal writing is obviously important, but really what's the most important is your cumulative GPA.  So, base your effort in that class on how many credits its worth.

up_late

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 04:11:56 PM »
It's good preparation for the casenote competition, which IS important.

Blunderbuss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »
At my school legal writing is pass/fail, no one give a f* about legal writing.  I barely passed, but my grade is the same as everyone else's.