Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Writing Grade  (Read 5365 times)

cassell456

• View Profile
Legal Writing Grade
« on: December 26, 2006, 01:10:54 PM »
Legal Writing is 2 units at my school and I was wondering if the legal writing grade is considered as "important" as the other classes.  I mean besides it being less units than a class like torts, is Legal Writing considered to be equal to the other classes or less important?

firant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Legal Writing Grade
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:42:52 PM »
Legal Writing is 2 units at my school and I was wondering if the legal writing grade is considered as "important" as the other classes.  I mean besides it being less units than a class like torts, is Legal Writing considered to be equal to the other classes or less important?

I know a couple of hiring partners in chicago, who say that they focus on writing more than other grades.

It's just two points of reference, but they both claim this is represenative.

-F
GPA: 2.8.. LSAT: 173
Enrolled: University of Notre Dame

(GPA at graduation was 3.3)

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 10:23:20 PM »
from my understanding, legal writing in the grand scheme of things is far more important than "regular classes" 

this is why my school's approach is to make it a 3 credit class for 3 semesters

FIU Class of 2009

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 11:27:35 PM »
Ours was only 1 credit.  I know I got a B+ on our main assignment (worth 60% of the grade) and an A on the rest of the assignments, so I think I have a shot an an A- in that class.  The firm I worked at as a paralegal used to sort attorney resumes based on legal writing grades alone.

lawkid09

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 11:05:54 AM »
Ours was only 1 credit.  I know I got a B+ on our main assignment (worth 60% of the grade) and an A on the rest of the assignments, so I think I have a shot an an A- in that class.  The firm I worked at as a paralegal used to sort attorney resumes based on legal writing grades alone.

eek! thats pretty scary...I hope I pull at least a B- in LW..there's always next semester. It was my professor's first time teaching, and she favored a VERY particualr writing style that I just couldnt pick up on  in time... :'(

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:25:37 AM »
How common is it for Legal Writing to be graded these days?  It is at my school (Emory), but it used to be pass/fail up until a few years ago.  My instructor claims that most schools are moving towards making it graded, and I wondered how much of that was BS and how much of it was accurate.

Emory '09

LSN

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 11:51:52 AM »
At my school, SIU it is 3 credits for 2 semesters. I think I did really well. I got 93/100 points... I got A+ on all my writing assignments but a B on my one test that was 25% of my grade. I am hoping I got a A+ in the class.

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 10:30:26 PM »

eek! thats pretty scary...I hope I pull at least a B- in LW..there's always next semester. It was my professor's first time teaching, and she favored a VERY particualr writing style that I just couldnt pick up on  in time... :'(

It was my instructor's first time too.  From what I have heard, she graded our memo's way more harshly than other sections were graded.  For instance, no one got an A on the first submission, where other sections had several.  I think it sucks that they curve the whole 1L class against each other, when some of the instructors grade based on different criteria! 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 08:00:17 AM »
I think its true that more and more schools are moving toward graded legal writing, if for no other reason than more nad more firms are beginning to really emphasize LRW.

And don't be fooled by the number of credits the class is worth.  It seems like most school "underweight" the grades.  At Emory, it's sort of a prideful move by professors who teach doctrinal courses.  They see legal writing as a "technical" skill, and the academics seem to feel like the technical is worth far less the the doctrinal classes.  In reality, its probably one of the most important grades you'll receive, IMO.

Texas88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »
I haven't really heard anything about legal research being an important class to employers, but I cannot imagine that it could be that important. First off, every young lawyer I know knows how pointless the class is, and most older lawyers didn't even have the class. I sure hope it's not the most important class, because I don't know about you folks, but I totally blew off my 1 credit LRW class this semester.

Oops.