Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from SIU Law to the U!!  (Read 1781 times)

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
Transferring from SIU Law to the U!!
« on: December 24, 2006, 02:15:48 PM »
O.k. I am currently a 1L at SIU Law at REALLY want to practice in Florida. I know how hard it would be to go from Southern Illinois to Florida after graduation. I have thought about trying to transfer to Miami. However, the cost and debt associated with a transfer scares the hell out of me. I will graduate with approximately 60k in debt TOTAL from SIU law, that includes undergrad and Law school. If I were to go to Miami, it would probably be around 120k in debt.
I got a 153 on my LSAT and the only thing I know of my grades thus far is I have 93/100 in my legal writing and research skills, have no idea what my letter grade is, but is should be up there. Who would think it would take 3 weeks to calculate grades?????
I just need info and advice from those that have done the transfer thing. I have a wife and kid so I have to consider all details.
HELP!!!

roygbiv

• View Profile
Re: Transferring from SIU Law to the U!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 05:08:06 PM »
First, get some grades first. This all a moot point until you get some grades as Miami requires top 20% rank.

Second, if you really want to practice in FL, you need to transfer. Even with top grades from SIU, you're going to have a tough go of trying to get a job in FL given how many law schools there are in FL.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »
They said they require 20% or B avg. I think I may be hurt when going for class avg though. THe two different sections at my school are VASTLY different. My section is full of really smart hard working students, and the other section is full of lazy kids.

Also when trying to transfer how does it work. When do you apply? I have no idea when my second semester grades will be out. GRRR

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 06:12:36 PM »
I also know that transferring is pretty much my only shot. This waiting for grades sucks.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 02:19:26 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 05:48:33 PM »
Yeah, I am going to apply to Denver if I am Top half as soon as I get my rank. If I am top third, I am going to apply to Boulder. I don't really see the reason to o to a place nicer than #30something Boulder (I just want a district federal clerkship or a staff position in a federal department)....I guess I would apply to Washington(#20 something), but I doubt I would get in, even if I was #1.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 08:00:50 AM »
Reading the UM website, it says they look for top 20% or B avg. Do you think this an either/or, or does this depend on which school you currently attend?

I wonder if you are top 20 or have a Bavg, how many they admit?

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 12:38:54 AM »
Reading the UM website, it says they look for top 20% or B avg. Do you think this an either/or, or does this depend on which school you currently attend?

I wonder if you are top 20 or have a Bavg, how many they admit?

I'm not at Miami but our school added about 30 transfers with only a handful of people leaving.  Remember, schools make more money by taking on more students so there is no hard and fast rule about what you need to transfer.  It sounds like you'll probably at a minimum be very close to the cutoff so if you act very enthusiastic about Miami I bet you get in- good luck!