Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US Attorney Jobs -- anyone have info on this or similar?  (Read 1612 times)

lanval

• View Profile
US Attorney Jobs -- anyone have info on this or similar?
« on: December 23, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm really starting to get interested in US Attorney jobs, mainly b/c of the combo of interesting work and life-friendly atmosphere.  What does anyone know about these jobs (and what sorts of jobs are similar?)  I know they pay less (maybe half) of big firm jobs but I am OK with that.  What can I do now to make myself competitive for such a job?  One thing though -- with my family commitments I can't go tooling off to DC for an internship, and I don't want to live in DC anyways.  Plus my 2L summer is already set with private firms.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: US Attorney Jobs -- anyone have info on this or similar?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 01:26:11 PM »
I'm really starting to get interested in US Attorney jobs, mainly b/c of the combo of interesting work and life-friendly atmosphere.  What does anyone know about these jobs (and what sorts of jobs are similar?)  I know they pay less (maybe half) of big firm jobs but I am OK with that.  What can I do now to make myself competitive for such a job?  One thing though -- with my family commitments I can't go tooling off to DC for an internship, and I don't want to live in DC anyways.  Plus my 2L summer is already set with private firms.

From my very limited research on this area, I have found that they seem to not hire Asst. US Attys right out of law school.  I think the most common path is to first clerk for a Federal Judge or to work in BIGLAW for a couple of years.  Again, I've only done minimal research on this.

antwan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 02:33:15 PM »
US Atty Office only hires attorneys with at least 2 years experience, preferably either clerkship, prosecution, etc.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 09:24:43 PM »
This sounds pretty neat, but I would be interested in federal staff attorney positions that have the same pay (its not like 2500 a week big law, but at like 1100 a week, it beats the *&^% out of working as an associate for a solo practicitioner or a local official in which you are lucky to be payed 700 a week (which really sucks)

wardwilliams

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 12:31:35 PM »
Anyone know if a federal district court clerkship of 1 year would be enough "experience" to get an AUSA offer

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 01:01:08 PM »
Anyone know if a federal district court clerkship of 1 year would be enough "experience" to get an AUSA offer

If you go to the DOJ website it flat out explains it all.  You need a minimum of 2 years experience for criminal work and 3 years minimum for civil. 

Good luck.

wardwilliams

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »
Where on the website did you find this? Because I know that DOJ hires some (very few) entry level, straight out of law school grads via their "Honors Progam." I don't think this applies to the US Attorney component however.

If you go to the DOJ website it flat out explains it all.  You need a minimum of 2 years experience for criminal work and 3 years minimum for civil. 

Good luck.

vaplaugh

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 04:16:10 PM »
Where on the website did you find this? Because I know that DOJ hires some (very few) entry level, straight out of law school grads via their "Honors Progam." I don't think this applies to the US Attorney component however.

Good luck.

Just silly anecdotal commentary, but I was a paralegal for DOJ (non-AUSA office), and about 75% of the people hired for my office were through honors program.  Important to note that attorneys who clerk for federal judges are hired under the "entry level" honors program.  Almost all of the honors program attorneys had done clerkships.  Federal clerkship = best way to land a job with DOJ in my opinion.  Of course, you need all the qualifications to land the federal clerkship.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 04:37:05 PM »
Clerkship or going out and working for a few years as a DA or State's attorney or civil work with a firm, then doing a lateral transfer.

vaplaugh

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:07:06 PM »
The link for those interested in DOJ hiring.
http://www.usdoj.gov/oarm/opp_attorneys.htm