Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Biggest Worry

I have no worries, I will kick ass most righteously.
 1 (5.9%)
How am I going to afford this?
 9 (52.9%)
That I will meet satan at the crossroads and my fiddling skills will be lacking.
 2 (11.8%)
Is my partner going to really be kosher with moving three or four times in the next five years?
 1 (5.9%)
What should I wear?
 0 (0%)
That I just won't get it.
 2 (11.8%)
That my new legal vocabulary will edge out all other forms of personal expression - cutting me off from the witty repartee I now maintain with friends and colleagues.
 0 (0%)
Other  (The polling firm would be most gratified if those voting for 'other' would please elaborate with an explanatory post)
 2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Job application timeline  (Read 982 times)

subdeoetlege

• View Profile
Job application timeline
« on: December 21, 2006, 01:48:50 PM »
What kind of timeline should 1Ls follow? How close to sending out applications and resumes should we be?

Texas88

• View Profile
Re: Job application timeline
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 02:51:03 PM »
You can't go wrong with sending out resumes to firms on 12/1 if you're at a top law school and/or have a great resume. If you are looking for PI volunteer work, you should wait until spring, because PI groups don't know what kind of help they'll need in the summer until close to the summer.

Personally, so far I've gotten 4 interviews out of the 200 letters I sent out on 12/1. I doubt I'd get that many responses on 1/1, but I might get even more after grades come out. The verdict? Either send them out on 12/1 or wait 'til grades come out. If your grades are good enough, firms will come to you. The strength to an early mail drop is that someone might hire you w/o grades.

HTH

LawLady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 11:18:11 PM »
What I want to know is whether anyone has ever gotten a paying firm job as a 1L BEFORE grades come out.  They may interview, but all the 2L's I talked to said that no one received offers until early February after grades.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 08:01:56 AM »
What I want to know is whether anyone has ever gotten a paying firm job as a 1L BEFORE grades come out.  They may interview, but all the 2L's I talked to said that no one received offers until early February after grades.

This is true, I think.  However, if you dont' get that interview lined up early, you wont' get one at all, since they'll choose from among the people they've met.  And I'd bet that an absolutely stellar interview can counteract a mediocre grade or two.