Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Current school 'punishing' you with downgrades b/c of transfer?  (Read 1393 times)

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Current school 'punishing' you with downgrades b/c of transfer?
« on: December 21, 2006, 12:57:54 PM »
I've heard this happens, though I didn't truly believe it...but do some schools really find a way to give you lower grades as a punishment for trying to transfer out? Sort of as a way to stick it to you?

I didn't believe it happened but now I am starting too...

Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Current school 'punishing' you with downgrades b/c of transfer?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 01:14:31 PM »
I've heard that too, but I find it hard to believe with anonymous grading.  If you truly suspect it, I'd ask to see your exam grade and final grade--for instance if every prof bumped you down for participation. 

I really don't think it happens though.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 01:51:02 PM »
I've heard that too, but I find it hard to believe with anonymous grading.  If you truly suspect it, I'd ask to see your exam grade and final grade--for instance if every prof bumped you down for participation. 

I really don't think it happens though.

Yeah, you hear the rumors, but I don't see a law professor risking his/her career by falsely lowering somebody's grade. Unless it was the school doing it, which is almost harder to fathom. What would the professor really gain from it anyway, in the absence of pressure from administration?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 01:54:02 PM »
Yeah, it doesn't make sense, especially considering this prof is one who wrote me a letter of rec for the transfer to begin with, but this grade is a horrible deviation from my standard.. and it wasn't like I didn't try...It was a paper class, no exam, and half the grading was done prior to me making the decision to transfer, so it wasnt like I was slacking because I knew I was transferring. Its just so bizzare ....I'm at a loss. Maybe I will know more once I get my paper back and can talk to the prof...
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:40:21 PM »
Well I just talked to the prof.. he gave me the general breakdown of how he got to my grade... he apparantly 'justified' it... we're meeting in a week or so to go over the more detailed breakdown but whatever...I guess it is what it is...time to move on

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 06:08:06 PM »
how much did it change from the draft?

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 09:45:37 PM »
We didnt do drafts... it was a 30 page brief and 2 oral arguments.. on and off brief... the class I took in conjunction with Moot Court. He even told us he was taking the curve off. So much for that. Brief was graded with our grading number, but oral arguments obviously weren't. Hell, he even told me I had the highest participation grade in the class and was calling me to discuss what competitions he wanted me to work on for the upcoming Moot Court Season...

Whatever..mathematically it doesnt make sense to me, how he arrived at my grade...I am hoping once I see the actual breakdown, I might be able to make some sense out of it, but as of now I am stumpped...

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 11:21:35 PM »
Profs won't downgrade you, but deans will absolutely try to destroy your chances of transferring.  The dean at my old school sent a nasty letter to the dean of admissions at my new school in the same envelope as my letter of good standing
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 02:19:44 PM »
Profs won't downgrade you, but deans will absolutely try to destroy your chances of transferring.  The dean at my old school sent a nasty letter to the dean of admissions at my new school in the same envelope as my letter of good standing

I would make that known to the President of your old University

uart

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »

What was your old school?