Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Holy Crap!! Exam Recall  (Read 5069 times)

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Holy Crap!! Exam Recall
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 10:45:49 AM »
I hear ya. Funny thing is... he would stress in class how important it was to ensure that all of your documents were correctly dated.  Failure to do so would mean that your client would lose priority to other creditors and could open you up to a malpractice suit.  Hmmmmmm....  That's a bit ironic.
pudding is delightful

Stacie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 11:25:09 AM »
I've not taken secured transactions...could the question still have been answered with the error in it? "Altered" analysis still could have been useful for evaluation...or was the error that screwy?
0L, Marquette University Law School

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 11:39:56 AM »
The question surely could have been answered with the error in it.  However, the problem was in the fact that when the exam proctor alerted all of us as to the problem, no further instruction was given on how to handle the error in the event that students already answered. The lack of instruction caused students to react differently (This was about an hour into the exam).  Some, including myself, re-worked the problem; which in turn screwed us over with regard to the amount of time left for the last question. Others did nothing.  I guess the Dean thought it would be unfair to penalize those who left the first question uncorrected and had the "wrong" answer - just as it would have been unfair to penalize those of us who corrected the first answer, but were unable to fully answer the last question.
pudding is delightful

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 07:01:25 PM »
The fault really is on your professor here for not giving you proper instructions. (and for missing the mis-print) I just took Secured Transactions as well, and my professor told us the last day of class and on the day of the exam to take the test as it is. If there's an error about dates, just go with it. I'd be pissed if I didn't take an exam pass-fail, and then just get a pass.

Damn reified systems.

The question surely could have been answered with the error in it.  However, the problem was in the fact that when the exam proctor alerted all of us as to the problem, no further instruction was given on how to handle the error in the event that students already answered. The lack of instruction caused students to react differently (This was about an hour into the exam).  Some, including myself, re-worked the problem; which in turn screwed us over with regard to the amount of time left for the last question. Others did nothing.  I guess the Dean thought it would be unfair to penalize those who left the first question uncorrected and had the "wrong" answer - just as it would have been unfair to penalize those of us who corrected the first answer, but were unable to fully answer the last question.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 08:03:34 PM »
I fully agree.  And yes, it is a disappointment taking a class with the expectation of receiving a grade, only to receive a "pass."  However, it is really hard for me to be truly pissed at the result when I barely even touched the last of 4 questions.  I realize that was because I went back to account for the error, but you can imagine the agony I felt leaving that exam knowing that an entire 45 minute question was ultimately unanswered.  I guess I have mixed feelings then. First, of relief that I won't receive a terrible grade b/c of the last question.  Second, a bit of anger that I was deprived of the opportunity to receive a good grade. 
pudding is delightful

DaviesAss

• 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 01:11:33 PM »
Two of my four profs had errors on their exams, which were noted before the exams began. I found another error on one exam but it was not major.

I think law school is the ultimate "do as I say, not as I do" phenomenon. Our LR&W prof delights in taking off points for the tiniest of errors, yet she's already made some huge ones herself.

a b c 9

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 06:20:10 PM »
That's called "authority"!

alocke

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 01:48:19 PM »
This same situation happened at my school.  Last year, our tenured civ pro prof used a question straight from a supplement-- and the exam was open book.  She is still teaching (took a year off, sabbatical) and everyone got a pass.  In the end, the only real concern was what to say in interviews.  It sucked b/c everyone spent a lot of time and energy into that class in particular, but everyone is in the same boat.