Law School Discussion

Done with exams!!

Done with exams!!
« on: December 14, 2006, 02:31:03 PM »
WOOO! Done with the first semester of law school exams!!! Well on my way to making 6 digits!!!!

Re: Done with exams!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:50:42 PM »
Wow, I can't wait to hear the comments people are going to make.  Good luck on landing that 6 figure job.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 04:11:34 PM »
Uhm... wtf are you talking about?

I'm not saying 1L summer job, I'm saying 5 semesters more, and then 6 figures.

Which, is not that hard

UChi2L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »
Uhm... wtf are you talking about?

I'm not saying 1L summer job, I'm saying 5 semesters more, and then 6 figures.

Which, is not that hard

Your naivete is adorable.  Good luck!

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 07:25:38 PM »
You guys are way too f-ing pessimistic...

Median salary - 115.

Mid market salaries are 80-100.

It's not like I said I want to work NY biglaw starting 150.

I said 100

If you guys don't think YOU can get 100, good for you. I, however, am quite sure I will be getting 100.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 07:43:23 PM »
You guys are way too f-ing pessimistic...

Median salary - 115.

Mid market salaries are 80-100.

It's not like I said I want to work NY biglaw starting 150.

I said 100

If you guys don't think YOU can get 100, good for you. I, however, am quite sure I will be getting 100.

Ah yes...falling back on skewed statistics.  You have no idea yet, being a 1L, but when next year, see how many of your friends get those big firm jobs where they'll bank more than 100K, and then see how many take positions at smaller firms, government jobs, and non-profits making less than that (sometimes significantly so), and then you can see just how off those numbers are.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 08:19:59 PM »
I won't be starting out at 100k, unless they're willing to pay me that for below 50, tops 60, hours a week. I'm sure that if I wanted work 70-90 hours a week out of school, like a lot of the straight-out-of-undergrad crowd, it would be a possibility here in DC. However, when you're ready to start a family, it's just not feasible to have 90 hour weeks popping up. That's why only 1% of the folks who start out in big law are still there after 8 years.

Hope this was relevant, I only read the 2 or 3 posts before, still reeling from exams.

UChi2L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 08:27:33 PM »

I highly recommend waiting till you have, say, one grade before you determine that you'll even fall within the median.  I've always seen a high correlation between cockiness and mediocrity in law school.  You are going to have to do well at Vanderbilt if you want to be guaranteed a six-figure job.  That said, there are a lot of them out there, and they do tend to buy lawyers wholesale and sell them retail, so your chances are still pretty good.  Then again, you might not get past the screening interview if you let this attitude show.

Also, re: $100K exactly, I'm not sure exactly where you'd hit that unless you're at a big firm in a secondary market.  Usually you go biglaw and hit $135 + bonus or you start around $70-80K if you're private.  Govn't work is obviously lower.

UChi2L

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 08:28:26 PM »
Well on my way to making 6 digits!!!!

Wait a minute, we're all idiots.

He says six digits!

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 09:25:14 PM »

Hello - congratulations!