Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California Western or Florida Coastal?  (Read 1007 times)

Lono

• View Profile
California Western or Florida Coastal?
« on: December 14, 2006, 01:03:13 PM »
have been accepted by both schools for spring admission. FCSL has given me a $10k/year scholarship for keeping a 3.0 (yes, I know its a bit of a racket) and right now I have nothing from CWSL.

I'm aware that many people wouldn't think enough to lift their leg to either, let alone offer an opinion, but before it goes that way I should give some specifics on my background.

I have a guaranteed job upon graduation in a small, but very good law firm. I have a fairly extensive business background (I'm 30 y.o). In addition to practicing law I will be managing my on-going business interests and will also be persuing new ones as well. IOW, I will be a non-trad student, and somewhat of a non-trad lawyer.

Given that I won't be caught up in the rat race for rank and job-placement which of these school would offer me the best place to get my card punched? Any current students, alums, or others have any suggestions? Is there anything other than location which would differentiate these schools from each other? Thanks.

dsnutter

Re: California Western or Florida Coastal?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:00:39 PM »
It seems to me that where you grad from is not the point, but rather that you do graduate. Is your garaunteed job in CA? If so, go to Cal Western. If it is in FL, go to FC. Cal Western is quite expensive, having a scholarship from FC might seem pretty nice for you since you do not have to worry about anything except graduating (but remember, your scholarship is contingent upon maintaining a 3.0).

My mom went to Cal Western, and really enjoyed it. She was a non-trad, who went part time.

I guess it all comes down to location. You will get a fine education at either institution. Pick your poison, and good luck!

ngm02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:43:14 PM »
I am from florida, and I haven't heard the best about FC.  I know all law schools are very competitive, but a few people I know who are there do not like the student to student enviroment.  That may be something you just dont want to put up with at FC.  Pluse, if u haven't been to Jacksonsille, do not expect too much.  Its not exactly paradise....

dsnutter

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 02:48:46 PM »
Cal Western is in San Diego, can't really beat that.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 03:38:08 PM »
I had $12K at FC and it only paid half my tuition. Not sure what the tuition at Cal Western is. That said, I've lived in both San Diego and Jax and while I do like Jax, I like San Diego infinintely better. So I would go where you think you would enjoy your 3 years since all other things about the schools are relatively equal. Well, thats not true. FCSL is only 10 years old and still finding its way. Cirriculum is constantly changing, they are letting in bigger and bigger classes with every semester, something a lot of people (myself included) don't think is very condusive to fostering the best student body you can. Cal Western is older, mor eestablished, has a name for itself in the reigon, but I don't know anything about its cirriculum. I do know several graduates from there and they seem happy with their education.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

Mozart711

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 04:20:26 PM »
I haven't heard anything about FC, but I have heard good things about Cal West (student atmosphere, location). In any case, congrats on acceptance to both.

have been accepted by both schools for spring admission. FCSL has given me a $10k/year scholarship for keeping a 3.0 (yes, I know its a bit of a racket) and right now I have nothing from CWSL.

I'm aware that many people wouldn't think enough to lift their leg to either, let alone offer an opinion, but before it goes that way I should give some specifics on my background.

I have a guaranteed job upon graduation in a small, but very good law firm. I have a fairly extensive business background (I'm 30 y.o). In addition to practicing law I will be managing my on-going business interests and will also be persuing new ones as well. IOW, I will be a non-trad student, and somewhat of a non-trad lawyer.

Given that I won't be caught up in the rat race for rank and job-placement which of these school would offer me the best place to get my card punched? Any current students, alums, or others have any suggestions? Is there anything other than location which would differentiate these schools from each other? Thanks.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »
I've heard FC built a really nice new building. However, there are hurricanes in FL.

murph0110

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 12:29:06 AM »
its sounds to me like, correct me if i am wrong, law school is all about business for you...

if that is your case, you are best to stay in florida.... it would be a shame to come to a great party city like san diego and not be focused on having a good time, in addition to getting a good education...

just my 2 cents...

murph

Lono

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 11:28:58 PM »
I think I'm leaning more towards CWSL.  The more I hear about Jacksonville, the more I think it's a world apart from the laid back & well-scrubbed enclaves I've visited in southern Florida.  It's a hard choice because I'm also more comfortable in conservative states like FL where people mind their own business, taxes are low, and things like the 2nd amendment are still in effect.

However my proximity to SD is a big plus.  In talking with people Cal Western also seems to have better name recognition--although this isn't always a great thing when it comes to fourth tier programs. S. California, although not a place I'd like to live long-term, will probably be a nice place to live for a few years.  As far as law school goes, you could do much worse in terms of location.  In fact I think there is an inverse correlation between the prestige of the school and the deseirablity of the location.