Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Army JAG  (Read 19935 times)

BTMead

• View Profile
    • Email
Army JAG
« on: December 14, 2006, 11:24:50 AM »
I grew up an Army brat and am interested in applying to the Army's JAG Corps upon graduation.  Just a quick question for anyone who may know, does the Army allow JAGs to go to Airborne and Ranger school?  If so, how hard is it to get that opportunity for a JAG?  Thanks for the help.

Brad

kernelgt

Re: Army JAG
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 05:20:05 PM »
I know this is an old post, but maybe there are others with the same question who are contemplating JAG...the AF JAG answer is completely wrong.  I was an Army officer for a number of years before coming to law school and no one goes to those schools unless there is a need, especially if you are not a combat arms branched officer (i.e., infantry, armor, field artillery, etc).

Airborne:  If you are in an airborne unit (basically, just the 82nd Airborne Division), you WILL go to airborne school (b/c the 101st Airborne Division sends its soldiers to Air Assault school (helicopter rappelling))....it's essentially a requirement.  If you are not in that division (like 95% of the rest of the army), you WILL NOT go to airborne school. Pretty much no exceptions, especially if you are a JAG officer

Ranger School:  Unless you are a new Infantry 2nd Lieutenant or enlisted soldier specifically assigned to a Ranger unit, you WILL NOT go to Ranger school.  The only exception would be if you were assigned as a JAG officer to a Ranger unit (but they don't have JAG officers in their units...JAG officers are assigned to the division, etc, and perhaps a JAG or two will be attached to the HQ of a Ranger BN for particular needs, but will not be in a Ranger Battalion). And, by the way, if they do need to do that, they will probably just pick a JAG lawyer who already has a Ranger tab (as there are a few) by virtue of being an infantry officer first and then going to law school later through the Army's funded legal education program (FLEP).

The bottom line is that those two schools cost the Army a lot of money and they send people on a needs of the Army basis.  If you are a JAG officer, you have no need for advanced combat training in the eyes of the Army.  You will be assigned to JAG sections at higher headquarters levels and if you deploy to a combat zone you will be with large headquarters units and not sent out to fight or patrol.  As such, there is no justification for the Army to spend that money on you and they won't do it.  Oh, and the airborne badge is not that prestigious like AF JAG thinks...it certainly doesn't equate to "instant advancement" or even guaranteed deployment...you deploy based on your unit.  When you are in the Army, you move from post to post every couple of years, so if you go to 82nd Airborne, you'll get the badge at that time...(so if you really want it, try to get Fort Bragg as your first post...although make sure you inform yourself on the sometimes tiring "gung ho" attitude of the post...it's not a personality fit for everyone). 

ArmyJag2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »
I remember looking at this post when I was deciding whether to join the Army JAG Corps.  I ended up joining and wanted to clear a few things up.

Airborne and Air Assault:  The JAG school usually has 10 airborne school slots and about 3 or 4 air assault slot school slots for each officer basic course (there are three per year).  Basically, the cadre running the military training portion of OBC divy those out to whomever they feel earned them (I've heard the creteria can change as the cadre change).  The opportunity to attend these schools has no relation to what unit you are heading to.  After OBC, it is generally more difficult to go to airborne school, but far from impossible.  If you are assigned to an airborne unit you will be able to go or if you are assigned to Ft. Benning or Ft. Cambell (where the airborne and air assault schools are located) you will be able to go.  Additionally, if you let you commander know you really want to attend either of these schools and you stay on their good side, you will likely have the opportunity to go to either airborne or air assault school.

Ranger School:  This is a tough one.  There is about a 99% you will not be able to go.  However, a JAG goes to ranger school every once and awhile, but those instances are pretty rare.  Its a combination of the amount of time it takes and the JAG Corps not wanting to send someone that is not going to graduate.  Basically, you have to be a stud and convince your commander to give you up for a few months.

Additoinal schools:  Beside those three schools, I personally know JAGs that have gone through Pathfinder, Jumpmaster and even SERE, all while part of the JAG Corps.  My understanding is that most commanders love for their JAGs to be as gung-ho/hooah as possible and as long as you show interest, ability and they like you....anything is possible when a full-bird colonel puts in a request on your behalf (and thats not as rare as it sounds).

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:11:24 PM »

Staff Officer POTGs have no need to go to Ranger School for their career ascension. Unlike the Marines JAG corp, you're not going to be potentially leading Soldiers into combat.

I don't think it's fair but that's the reality. I feel that everyone should be able to go to Ranger School if they meet the PT requirements and their chain of command recommends them. But the training is intended for those who are actually going to utilize it in close combat conditions.

I've witnessed what JAGs do directly on the Division level. They rarely are placed in harms way. I'm not trying to diminish what they do but they're not going to be putting their life on the line very often if at all. And there's really no need for them to do so.

marcusbrody81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »
i concur witharmyjag2.  i was army enlisted active duty, a basic branch officer, and now serve as a jag officer- active duty. forgive the format. im using my smartphone overseas in the field.

airbore air assault school. jags get chances to go abn or aaslt once in a while. esp if youre at a forscom, abn unit, or at a base that teaches that course. ie ft benning.  you have to seek the opportunity out and be in great shape because youll have to compete for the slot to go. 270 apft and or good runner/ ruck marching within 15min standard for 12 miles with gear. these opportunities wont come to you. you must research online and seek it out with your chain of command. bottom line. dont go half steppin. show leadership u want to be a high speed trooper thru apft scores, research, and determination before thinking of asking.  ive come across too many army newbies who want to wear the badgex but dont even know what the course entails or they have poor fitness scores.

ranger school. is possible. esp if youre stationed at benning and the 06 sja is supportive. high speed jags coming from 82/101 were being selected and supported by their div a few years ago when we were still deploying to oif/oef/surge.  also ranger regiment has 2~3 slots for jags to serve in the 75th regiment. you need to be ranger tab qualified iot serve with them. bottom line. its possible but very unlikely for a jag to go to ranger.

should jags be able to go to these high speed courses?

imo yes. and numerous senior line officers/ commanders agree. jags dont need to go iot wear a cool guy badge. but instead to better understand the culture/mission/soldiers we all serve. i could go on forever about this. im basically saying that jags need to challenge themselves as officers to set higher standards for themself, or to meet the standards set by their fellow line officers/ncos/ paratroopers/ soldiers. as one RI said to a student " it's not about you. "  as an officer ,   jag or not, you need to do and be the best you can for those you serve/lead/advise.  it's not about you.

i understand how combat arms guys say jags dont need to go or its waste of  slots and money. i get it. but if youve been to any of these schools you would know that too many non jag soldiers bolo out of these courses for various reasons. imo if youre motivated physically fit and have an interest in being a better officer, then go for it.  but dont come half steppin.

if youre in law school and you want to be a high speed hero, then enlist or commission combat arms. ie infantry or armor. youll get to go to these schools you dream about.  if youre thinking about just doing jag and wanting to be tabbed/badged the fck out.... then maybe you need to take a moment and think about your real reason for wanting to wear the uniform. is it so that you can look like a hero/leader?

if you want to serve. then serve. you dont have to be an officer just because you have a ba bs or jd degree.  i have a friend who enlisted under 18X immediately after law school. served six years as a green beret and is now a jag officer. dont think your above serving enlisted just because you have a fancy degree.  my legal education is only an additional skill set that i use to be a value added member of the team. 

one last thing.  jag corps and the army in general is about teamwork, improving youself as a leader, and improving your subordinates to be tbe best that they can be.  most law students got where they are now becuase they put themself first and looked out for their interests. if this is you, then dont bother applying to be an officer.  you will eventually be peered out.

ive been to the schools and i see the reaction my soldiers have when they see my uniform and know that i once too was a young pfc.  MOTIVATE them to achieve the mission. INSPIRE them to go further.

Men.Mission.Myself.    in that order. because if you take care of your men first,  they will take care of the mission.