Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: which is harder?  (Read 779 times)

wardwilliams

which is harder?
« on: December 13, 2006, 09:31:49 PM »
For those that are taking both or have taken both, which is the harder course assuming you don't get a particularly difficult teacher: crimlaw or Ks?

I only ask because, as it turns out, next semester I am taking contracts and 2 other classes while the rest of my 1L classmates are taking criminal law and 2 others (the same 2 others).  I want to know if I have a relative edge or a relative disadvantage

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: which is harder?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 11:50:13 PM »
Contracts is defnitely more difficult.  Hate the break the news but I imagine most students will agree with me on this one. 

The law just isn't quite as difficult in Crim and the cases are easy to read.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:51:13 PM »
I don't think either one is very hard. 

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 06:59:48 AM »
I think criminal is harder.  The criminal cases are usually more interesting to read, but I think crim law is more complicated than contracts.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 07:01:26 AM »
I thought contracts was MUCH harder than crim.  Then again, I also loved crim.  I think this one totally depends on the person.  (and the professor makes a huge difference too!)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 07:31:24 AM »
Dismissing the professor makes a lot of this irrelevant.  It's such a big factor in whether or not a class will be good.  Having to self-motivate yourself for an entire semester is very draining.  You always want a professor to pick up some of the slack in that category.

If you put a gun to my head, I would say probably contracts.  But I don't think you'll have any sort of real advantage or disadvantage.  If you think you're in the easier course, any advantage you have will easily be gone if you decide that means you can slack even a little bit.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 08:54:39 AM »
Contracts is a "squishier" subject than crim law. The concepts are a bit abstract and goofy. You'll know what I mean when you start reading about consideration.

Crim law covers a huge amount of material, especially if your prof wants you to know both the Model Penal Code and the common law.

So, if you like abstraction, you'll probably do better in Ks, and vica versa.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 11:14:06 AM »
Contracts is a "squishier" subject than crim law. The concepts are a bit abstract and goofy. You'll know what I mean when you start reading about consideration.

Crim law covers a huge amount of material, especially if your prof wants you to know both the Model Penal Code and the common law.

So, if you like abstraction, you'll probably do better in Ks, and vica versa.

For me, Contracts was definitely harder, and my grades in both Contracts I and II reflected this (they weren't awful, but could have been better).  However, Crim Law was tough in the sense that we had to know the common law, Model Penal Code, AND Nevada law, although the professor pulled a classic "bait-and-switch" and tested us only on Nevada law, which she didn't discuss very often in class.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:38:23 PM »
I didn't think the concepts of one were harder than the other, but Contracts had a lot more information then Crim Law.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 03:40:16 PM »
I think the concepts in Contracts are harder. But I loved Crim Law and had a knack for it. I have friends though that hated torts, for example, which I thought was one of the easiest courses out there, but yet did exceptionally well in Contracts because they thought that class was easy.

It all comes out in the wash anyway.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality