Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Curious how many people were happy they transferred...  (Read 1903 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Curious how many people were happy they transferred...
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 11:41:45 AM »
People are not smarter at higher ranked schools.  That is just ridiculous.

I disagree with the above post.  People are definitely smarter as you climb the ranks.  But as we know, it's work ethics, not smarts, that get you good grades in law school.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 12:30:10 PM »
Look, of course their are smart people at T4's. I was one of them and there were also people in my class with PHD's and such. Some bright individuals go to T4's for the convenience factor.

I think what should be considered here, is that the academic standards for admission to most T4s are far below that of a T1 school. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't have got in to law school.

It often requires a better academic record to get into a T1. I think that the students at my current school are way more competitive then the T4 I went to. I'm not trying to negate the intelligence of those at my old school, it just means that I am now competing against individuals with a stronger academic background (More Ivy Leaguers, etc.)

It's tough to generalize about stuff like this, and of course there are exceptions.

ngm02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 02:44:24 PM »
why do you think you will go down in ranking?

well, I am not sure...just figured my accomplishment at lesser school would be slightly less at a better top 50 school...

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 03:20:55 PM »
Most people, from talking to professors and other transfers, actually improve in ranking when they transfer up.  This is ostensibly for several reasons (1) the failure of the assumption that better ranked schools have smarter students (2) the fact that people study less 2L and 3L.  The other students have 1L grades holding them back, whereas transfers start over and (3) better ranked schools are often more laid-back and less competitive.  Coming from a competitive atmosphere of a T4 may give you the edge on more laid-back students.

While I have no grades yet to know if I've improved or worsened my ranking, I can definitively say that the second two are true.  The T1 I currently attend is very very laid back compared to my old school.  Even the 1Ls here that I know are much less stressed.

Of course, there is a chance that your ranking will worsen if you transfer, but its mostly up to you and your work ethic.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 07:47:38 PM »
People are not smarter at higher ranked schools.  That is just ridiculous.

I disagree with the above post.  People are definitely smarter as you climb the ranks.  But as we know, it's work ethics, not smarts, that get you good grades in law school.

I heard that if you cut off the bottom third of the class, everyone is the same as you climb a tier.  This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, however, because if you went from T4 to T1 there'd be nobody left and we all know that's not true.

As for my experience, the kids at my new school are ten million times smarter than the kids at my old school.  It may have something to do with the fact that it's a pretty academic school and the kids are very vocal about the things that they know, but I felt very comfortable at the top of my class at my old school and I feel like a moron at the new one.  Take that for what it's worth.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

bella112

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 01:49:23 AM »
I think the whole point of transferring is that the school that accepts you thinks you've proven through your performance that you're as worthy of being at that school as the people who already go there- no reason to think you can't do as well, or even better if you're more motivated at the better school.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 11:19:08 AM »
If you transfer as a 1L, do you still eventually qualify for law review membership etc (obviously with the requisite ranking/grades) at the new place or can you just write off competitive activities like that?

Also, how huge of a loss in networking time would you say you experience? I have a pretty good start as far as people I know and memberships in organizations, leadership roles, etc. Though I am at a t3, I've got a good network in a tight legal community that feeds the benches in Cleveland.

AND if you try to transfer, and for some reason don't get in, what affect will that have on your 'reputation' in the law school you currently attend?
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 01:01:01 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps