Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Curious how many people were happy they transferred...  (Read 1944 times)

ngm02

• View Profile
    • Email
Curious how many people were happy they transferred...
« on: December 13, 2006, 05:36:59 PM »
I am thinking about transferring to a better school, in a town where I have more connections in the legal community, where I have more friends, but will probably go from top 20 percent of the class to top 50 percent.  I am curious if anyone has done something like this, and how they feel about their decision....thanks

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Curious how many people were happy they transferred...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 06:28:47 PM »
why do you think you will go down in ranking?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 07:00:44 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 08:09:11 PM »
Fingers CROSSED for grades, good lord.  I'll let you know if I can even figure out my "GPA".
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

gobucks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:43:45 PM »
Coxless,

what school did you transfer to?

thanks

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 10:35:59 PM »
I transferred up, really far up from a T4. The jury is still out, but my theory is that if I pass I made the right decision. We'll see.....

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 11:48:53 PM »
One Professor told me, when I transferred from my T-2 to T-1, that transfer students tend to maintain just about the exact same GPA they had at their old school (and the rank is thus adjusted accordingly).  I have to admit that it was exactly the case (to the .01 of a GPA point) for me, my girlfriend (also a transfer did .14 better, and a couple other friends of mine stayed just abotu exactly the same.

ngm02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 02:21:04 AM »
I am thinking about transferring to a better school, in a town where I have more connections in the legal community, where I have more friends, but will probably go from top 20 percent of the class to top 50 percent.  I am curious if anyone has done something like this, and how they feel about their decision....thanks

I only ask because now I am at a T3 and considering the move to a border line T1/T2..I only assumed my grades would be affected slightly in comparison to the rest but it appears that is not usually the case.  Some are saying that a more competitive school can have a more relaxed curve? Interesting but who knows because right now my school seems to live and die by this mandated curve they have...anyway I really appreciate the feedback.  Thanks and I welcome anything else you have to offer....

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 06:58:04 AM »
there is no reason your grades will go down.  I went from a T4 to a T1--no one is smarter here.  The only difference is LSAT score, which is a pretty bad predictor of law school success.

The jury is still out on me, but I've known 2 transfer students who have made a big jump and have done slightly better.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »
I disagree with the above post.  People are definitely smarter as you climb the ranks.  But as we know, it's work ethics, not smarts, that get you good grades in law school.