Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grades and Summer Job  (Read 2259 times)

BrandonTexas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Grades and Summer Job
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am pretty sure that I won't be finishing at the top of my class (we are already almost done with finals).  What do people who finish at the bottom of the class (or under 50%) do during the first year summer?  I always read about the top of the class leaving for the summer to big law firms.  Also, does it make a huge difference if you get a 3.0 or a 2.6 (on a 2.8 curve)?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Grades and Summer Job
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:38:06 PM »
1. For 1Ls, the top of the class do not always get firm positions. That matters a lot on the market you are in and the law school you are coming from.

2. If you are bottom 50%, expect to be volunteering somewhere. You could probably intern/extern w/ the local DA or Public Defender. Maybe even try getting in touch with small law firms and volunteer your services there. With your free Westlaw/Lexis ability, you might be able to convince them to take you as a research monkey.

3. Of course a higher GPA makes a difference. What kind of question is that? On a 2.8, someone with a 3.0 will likely be in the top 33-40%. Someone with a 2.6 will be below 50%.
3.0 has a better chance of being hired.

4. Why are you even worrying about this until grades come back? No one can predict how their first term (or any term really) grades will come out.
Air Force JAG Corps

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 06:49:14 PM »
Small firms always need clerks. And expect to get paid if you take one of these jobs (but also expect to keep working during the school year.)

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:05:26 PM »

With your free Westlaw/Lexis ability, you might be able to convince them to take you as a research monkey.

I've wondered about this. Even if I'm a clueless 1L, wouldn't my Westlaw/Lexis access at least make me worth something to a small firm that doesn't have any other law students asking for a summer job? How well does this work? Do smaller firms even have that much of a need for a research assistant? I'm thinking if they do have a research need, my Westlaw/Lexis access should make it worth there while to pay me at least a small stipend, right?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 07:11:08 PM »
You can't use westlaw and lexis for private practice over the summer.  They make you agree not to do so, and if they catch you, you will be charged for the time you use the service (although this doesn't mean they actually will catch you, but the very idea of being personally billed their outrageous rates was enough to minimize my use over the summer)

If I remember correctly, you can use your access for journal, research assistant positions w/ faculty, non-profit work, and maybe a couple of other things.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 12:42:45 AM »
That's not surprising. When did they make you agree to do that?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 07:14:31 AM »
Towards the end of spring semester, I think. 

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 09:41:23 AM »
You can't use westlaw and lexis for private practice over the summer.  They make you agree not to do so, and if they catch you, you will be charged for the time you use the service (although this doesn't mean they actually will catch you, but the very idea of being personally billed their outrageous rates was enough to minimize my use over the summer)

If I remember correctly, you can use your access for journal, research assistant positions w/ faculty, non-profit work, and maybe a couple of other things.

Have you ever heard of this happening? For Westlaw/ Lexis to do this would be really silly. They are trying to get you "hooked" on their product, and if you do they have a potentially life-long customer. I can't imagine them busting a student, considering their fierce competition with each other and what is at stake.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 11:47:29 AM »
I don't know. I thought the firm you work for decides whether or not you use Westlaw or Lexi & if you go into private practice, both of them are too expensive to use so whether you have a preference is moot. I thought both companies are working towards the same goal of getting you hooked on computer research so you won't know how to do research otherwise if you work for a firm that uses either. Even if they catch only a minority of students, the mere threat of having to pay those fees would be enough to stop me and it would not make me dislike either company. It may make that very small number of students dislike the company that catches them, but that's a very small price for the Westlaw/Lexis Axis of Evil to pay in order to maintain economic efficiency.

Again, I don't really know. I'll ask one of the reps.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 12:11:12 PM »
I used my personal westlaw to do research for a law review article while at work at a law firm. The firm was initialy billed for my search, over $200. Luckily, the bill included the time the search was done, which was during lunch, and it was resolved aftert a phone call to a westlaw rep. But still...