Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do 2L grades matter at all?  (Read 2268 times)

sarbinson1

• View Profile
Do 2L grades matter at all?
« on: December 09, 2006, 02:07:02 AM »
So if you don't want to clerk, do your second and third year grades matter at all?  I've heard you need to really bomb to have a summer offer revoked and once you get in the door for the summer you start letting your work do the talking.  I know, it's just rationalization but I'm resigning myself to some ugly grades this time.  Part of the problem is taking all classes that are curved (and are hard) while I know a bunch of people doing some phenomenal grade padding this year.  One would hope people realize that since there is no standardization at all after 1L, the grades aren't really comparable across students...

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do 2L grades matter at all?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:48:14 AM »
not really

unless you hate your 2L SA firm and would like to attempt to find another job for graduation - a slew of bad 2L grades might "force" you take the initial offer.

starter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 11:22:30 AM »
Yeah, if you're like a majority of law students and you don't have a job lined up at a big law firm.

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 09:56:51 AM »
I do have one for the summer- of course that's no guarantee of anything after the summer.  Anyway I'm taking pretty much the hardest classes available during 2L year- so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if my grades go down some I'll get a little bit of pass.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 01:51:59 PM »
Please don't fall victim to the myth that 2L grades don't matter, because they do.  Especially if you want to go into big law. 

1L grades are undoubtedly the most important but employers do look at the 2L grades. Even if you have the job lined up with them after your 2L summer some firms have been known to spy in on their incoming associates.  Plus, just as a general rule, you always want to leave yourself options.  Should you be one of the lucky few who have a job at big law lined up for your 2L summer that was attained based on your 1L grades, it is very possible that you may not like the firm afterall once you get there and interact with the people everyday. 

Unfortunately, the nature of the beast with law firms is that even if you're a bright individual who does good work, there is no guarantee that you will receive an offer because firms put A LOT of stock into your chemistry with the firm.  I personally know of a few law students who are at the top of their respective classes who did not receive offers simply because they didn't vibe well with their firms.

So fight the urge to slack.  Save that for 3L (if ever).
Burning Sands

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 10:24:22 PM »
I'm fighting but I don't think I'm winning...