Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nuisance ?  (Read 275 times)

sb28

• View Profile
Nuisance ?
« on: December 08, 2006, 07:09:19 PM »
Assume there is a drive-in theater on the other side of a Winn Dixie store, can that theater bring a public nuisance action if floodlights from Winn Dixie's parking lot are hitting the screen and, a s a result, fewer people come to the theater?

VitaminE

• View Profile
Re: Nuisance ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 07:55:38 PM »
Haha...I thought you were talking about the poster robmelone...

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:07:57 PM »
From what I remember (I believe there was a note case on this in my Property book last year), no, essentially because the plaintiff is "overly sensitive" and that's the reason why its enjoyment of the land is impaired.  The neighboring use wouldn't have reasonably impaired the plaintiff's enjoyment of its land if it were basically anything other than drive-in theater.

"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:12:08 PM »
No nuisance probably.  See Amphitheatre, Inc. v. Portland Meadows, which dealt with a drive-in theater and a race track.  In that case, the race-track did take steps to prevent the light pollution to the theater's property, though.

Light can be a nuisance, but it does need to be excessive and/or in the wrong place.  For example, the Winn Dixie lights that are too bright in a residential area and can interfere with people trying to sleep.