Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: transferring- how hard is it  (Read 1581 times)

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: transferring- how hard is it
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 09:09:16 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 11:50:21 PM »
T4, top 1% transferred to high T2...limited somewhat in my choices of schools by places my husband could work. Very happy with my acceptance to High T2 school...
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 08:01:29 AM »
I had one T3 nicely talk me out of applying to their program... "our program is rigorous etc..." I appreciated their honesty and didn't waste their time or mine.  I think if top 30/40 is your goal, the top 25% and up is the minimum standard. 

That didn't make you mad!?!?
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 12:35:15 PM »
for Top 30/40, 25% is gonna be stretching it.  To squeak into T1 I'd say Top 1/5; to get to USNWR 30's I'd say top 10-15% (from a T4)

Of course another huge factor is whether the school takes alot of transfers.  Schools like G'Town and WUSTL who take alot of transfers are gonna be easier to get into relative to other schools similarly ranked.

Mozart711

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 02:14:25 PM »
Does the school that you are coming from make a difference?

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 02:25:49 PM »
Well certainly it matter some.  If you were at Stanford and wanted to transfer to Harvard then I'm sure that would be better than being at UCONN and wanting to go to Harvard.  Probably only huge differences like that matter.  Its hard to say for sure.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 08:04:33 PM »
Air Force JAG Corps

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »
My new school said it explicitly (that what school you come from matters) and I was the only former T3-er to end up transferring in (well, along with one other kid from my old school).

Honestly, I talked to about a dozen programs.  It was more frustrating to deal with the ones that wouldn't tell me a thing and went with, "the apply and see" suggestions. 

I got quite a few "don't bother to applys" ... actually, just two: HLS and Yale.  Typical!
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

Mozart711

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 09:46:26 PM »
Even though transferring would be contingent on grades, I am trying to research what it would take for a T3er (like myself, at Loyola New Orleans) to get into a T2 (70-100 in the "rankings" from U.S. News and Rankings).

My new school said it explicitly (that what school you come from matters) and I was the only former T3-er to end up transferring in (well, along with one other kid from my old school).

Honestly, I talked to about a dozen programs.  It was more frustrating to deal with the ones that wouldn't tell me a thing and went with, "the apply and see" suggestions. 

I got quite a few "don't bother to applys" ... actually, just two: HLS and Yale.  Typical!

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 11:51:50 PM »
Even though transferring would be contingent on grades, I am trying to research what it would take for a T3er (like myself, at Loyola New Orleans) to get into a T2 (70-100 in the "rankings" from U.S. News and Rankings).

Like we've all said, it depends.  Middle of the class?  Higher?  I'd say don't give it a second thought until you see how you did your first semester at the very least.  We can't give you specific numbers.