Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Callback, and I'm kind of desperate  (Read 1308 times)

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
Callback, and I'm kind of desperate
« on: December 05, 2006, 04:22:38 PM »
I've got a callback next week (in the middle of exams, stellar), and not only do I really want a job, I really want this job.  Its a smallish firm that pays/works you like the big guys.  I love this firm, they specialize in exactly what I want to do.  I'm afraid I may come across as a little too desperate.  Any tips/advice?  Thanks!
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Callback, and I'm kind of desperate
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 04:33:46 PM »
My advice: Make sure they know how interested you are in them in particular. I think I missed getting some jobs by failing to make this clear. Firms yield-protect. They won't hire you if they suspect you'll take another job if offered.

If fact, you might come right out and say, "I want you to know that I'd rather work for you than for any other firm because..." I'm about 90% convinced that a line like that would have secured me a job this past interview season, but I didn't say it and was passed up because it didn't look like they were my first choice.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:46:22 PM »
My advice: Make sure they know how interested you are in them in particular. I think I missed getting some jobs by failing to make this clear. Firms yield-protect. They won't hire you if they suspect you'll take another job if offered.

If fact, you might come right out and say, "I want you to know that I'd rather work for you than for any other firm because..." I'm about 90% convinced that a line like that would have secured me a job this past interview season, but I didn't say it and was passed up because it didn't look like they were my first choice.

ABSOLUTELY true.  Every time I've expressed genuine interest in a firm, I've gotten an offer.  Once, I even may have gone a little too far, but it worked.  Firms love it when you seem interested and like you rally want to work there.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »
If your not from the area, make it clear that you plan on sticking around after you graduate too.

rhapsody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 10:55:59 PM »
I think interviewers can tell the difference between desperately wanting to work for their firm in particular and just desperately wanting a job.  You should use your genuine interest to your advantage -- it will help you be extra-personable and excited at the callback -- and they will respond to that.