Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post your comments about finals...rants, venting, joy, cursing the curve...  (Read 6524 times)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
Re: Post your comments about finals...rants, venting, joy, cursing the curve...
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 10:52:06 AM »
I posted this on my blog, but I'll x-post it here.  Feel free to rip me here or there if you disagree.

Taper

I know thereís a great temptation to work 24/7.  If that works for you, fine.  Personally, after about 8-10 hours of this type of work, Iím useless.  Iím staring at words, mindlessly typing in an outline, stuck on the most basic problems in an outline.  So unless I have mindless-type work to do, I just give up.  I make dinner, play video games, even go out.  If youíre able to put in 16-18 hour days, more power to you.  But not everyone can and not everyone needs to.  And if you continue to sit there and stare at something you canít get mostly because youíre just tired, then youíre just stressing yourself out for no good reason.

Practice makes perfect

Outlines are great.  Itís wonderful to synthesize information like that, and if you do it right, the end result is really rewarding.  Iím also of the opinion (that I think is a minority view) that a good outline is very useful on the exam, not just as something to get you thinking about the test.  But many a law student with a great outline has walked into a test feeling like they knew they were prepared, and walked out feeling shell-shocked (rightly so when grades come out).  I disagree that there is nothing like law school exams, but they do have major fundamental differences than other types of tests.

I donít think Examples and Explanations or commercial practice tests do you justice.  Go find your profs old tests and work them out.  I never right answers out, I just sit in my apartment and talk to myself.  I might type out some notes like major conclusions, but I donít try to put myself in a testing environment.  I just bounce ideas around and use my outline.  Outlines are great tools, but you need to know how to use them, and practicing with a profs old tests is the best way, in my humble opinion.

Dealing with the Aftermath

When you walk out of your first law school exam, you will be flooded with numerous emotions.  Iíve had some pretty intense test taking experiences.  In a post that is long gone, I did say that law school finals donít quite match up to the International Bacculareate exam period, but itís a solid number two.  You will likely be feeling a high and a low, like you aced it, and like you failed.

First things first: pay attention to no one and book it out of there.  I donít have a problem with this because Iím an extremely quick test-taker and am almost always done before time.  But get away from the scene of the crime.  I know thereís a tendancy to sit there and dwell on it, but try not to.  Leave the test room.  A lot of people like to go out to lunch or dinner after an exam.  I like that idea, and I found it helpful sometimes.  It was certainly great after my Torts exam, which really meant we were running downhill for the rest of finals.  But donít talk about the test.  Go home and sleep on it.

When you wake up, before you get back to studying think and ask yourself these two questions:

1. Was I satisfied how well I prepared?
   2. Given how well I prepared,  was I happy with how I did on the test?

DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS!  I canít stress that enough.  Just because someoneís outline was bigger, or someone finished before you, or someone found the comment in the FRCP that answered the question better is irrelevant.  This is all about intrinsic rewards.  Law school exams are crap shoots really.  Yes, some people will do consistently better, but the difference between say the 25th percentile and the 50th percentile is at some level luck.  All you can do is satisfy yourself.

So if you walked into test feeling like you knew the material cold, give yourself a check there.  If you didnít, did you feel like you were able to BS your way to something that at least sounded good?  Then give yourself a check there.  When grades come out and you get the chance to talk with professors, you can find out what you actually did right and wrong.  But for now, are you happy with what you did?  Remember though, you are going to miss things and make mistakes.  The time pressures of the exam make that almost a certainty.  So donít say ďI missed x issue, so I wasnít happy.Ē  Perfection is an impossible standard, and itís created by someone else, so it totally defeats the purpose of the exam.

Just be yourself

Donít worry what anyone else is doing.  If you think this advice is bull, not only to I urge you not to follow it, let me know.  You can vent at me right here if you want.  Iím a firm believer that in exams, especially law school exams, the spoils go not to the ones who have the most knowledge, but the ones who are motivated, confident, and in the right frame of mind when the test software boots up or the blue book is opened.  Trying to put your square peg into someone elseís round hole is bound to be uncomfortable, and very likely to screw you up when it comes time to show your stuff.

Happy Testing!

tenth8sphere

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 11:08:26 AM »
The curve:

If you do well: "Damn this curve, my A should have been an A+ and my B should have been an A-. This curve is such a load or crap!

If you do poorly: "Oh, oh god bless you little curve. Mmmm you made my F into a C-. Oh god I love you, curve, you're the sweetest invention any man has ever made. Mmmmmmmm... ccuuurrrvveee."

Goes both ways.

VitaminE

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 02:22:30 PM »
Aaah... Less than 24 hours until my Contracts final and I'm freaking out! Our professor is the oldest one at school, and he actually gives F's! He's an ALI guy, so I've been memorizing the Restatements to regurgitate, and have been going through his practice exams... Issue spotting, outlining an answer, etc... but all I can think is that I am going to fail. Especially reading his commentary about past exams. AAAHHH!!!!

Finals are pure evil :)

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 02:35:23 PM »
Aaah... Less than 24 hours until my Contracts final and I'm freaking out! Our professor is the oldest one at school, and he actually gives F's! He's an ALI guy, so I've been memorizing the Restatements to regurgitate, and have been going through his practice exams... Issue spotting, outlining an answer, etc... but all I can think is that I am going to fail. Especially reading his commentary about past exams. AAAHHH!!!!

Finals are pure evil :)

You have Saturday exams?

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 04:36:01 PM »
We have Sundays.  >:(
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 09:27:16 PM »
Finished my Property Exam yesterday. I failed to answer at leaset 5 of the subquestions and I'm not even sure if I correctly answered the questions I did get to.

That was absolutely the worst final I have ever taken. I really am worried that I failed, which sucks because I really do feel like I knew the material fairly well. The time crunch just killed me.

What are the chances of getting a failing grade at a Tier 1? Somebody ease my mind please. :-[

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 09:36:05 PM »
Finished my Property Exam yesterday. I failed to answer at leaset 5 of the subquestions and I'm not even sure if I correctly answered the questions I did get to.

That was absolutely the worst final I have ever taken. I really am worried that I failed, which sucks because I really do feel like I knew the material fairly well. The time crunch just killed me.

What are the chances of getting a failing grade at a Tier 1? Somebody ease my mind please. :-[

Only a handful of people get failing grades, and it's not a mandatory part of the curve, but it does happen.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Lemonbass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 09:37:24 PM »
Nobody fails at a Tier 1...nobody got into a Tier 1 by screwing up their whole lives, and very few people are about to begin screwing up in law school.  There are people with a minimal knowledge of the rules who are smart enough to reason their way around them and get good grades.  There are people who will know all the material cold and choke.  This is manifestly unfair.  Welcome to life.  Do the best you can do.  Try not to have any regrets but really, you can't account for all eventualities in your preparation.  Alot of people would be better served by doing something that increases self-esteem and confidence instead of trying to burn the image of the Uniform Commercial Code into their heads. 

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 09:58:20 PM »
Yes. I have heard that it is extremely difficult to fail out of T1; however, after a poor performance, you can imagine the possiblity still keeps creeping into my mind.

I really just think I failed to organize well and missed a couple of issues. Hopefully the answers I did get correctly show the Prof that I'm not a complete idiot who just didn't bother studying. But alas, I have one more final and should really stop worrying.

Thanks for the comments and best of luck on exams.