Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Post your comments about finals...rants, venting, joy, cursing the curve...  (Read 6605 times)

Mozart711

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Post your comments about finals...rants, venting, joy, cursing the curve...
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 03:16:07 AM »
While this advice is probably right, I bet this user did not follow his (or her) own advice a year ago. I don't think there is a law student out there who can take an exam and go home without uttering a word about how he or she did. When left alone to your thoughts about an exam, in a time when 1L grades are extremely important for job prospects, and how well you did, usually causes anxiety.

In this second question I was only able to state the issue, rule, and write about two lines of analysis for each suit. Anybody else fall into a similar situation? If so (if you're a 2L) what was the exam result?

Yes.  You may have failed.  There is, however, an equally likely change that you got a C.  Or a B.  Or an A. 

For PETE'S SAKE, people, stop freaking out about how you did or didn't do on the exam.  There's no way to tell what the teacher wants until you get your grade, it's out of your hands, you wouldn't have done it differently if you had it to do over (assuming you didn't have this hindsight bias) ... MOVE ON!

You're going to kick yourself when you freaked out for a month and you get a decent grade.  Don't let that whole "law review makes me think I'm weak and incompetent" thing happen to you or it's going to be a depressing three years.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 08:09:49 AM »
While this advice is probably right, I bet this user did not follow his (or her) own advice a year ago. I don't think there is a law student out there who can take an exam and go home without uttering a word about how he or she did. When left alone to your thoughts about an exam, in a time when 1L grades are extremely important for job prospects, and how well you did, usually causes anxiety.

You're absolutely right, and that's why I'm telling you people NOT to do it.  It causes immense stress and anxiety to talk about the exam, you're going to freak out for a month and then getting your grade will be utterly anticlimactic.

The whole point of giving advice is to keep people from suffering unnecessarily like you did.  What good is advice from someone with no practical experience?

You don't have to take any advice you hear, but your life will be much easier if you just pack up your things and go home after the exam and concentrate on what's next. 

And if you really don't think there's a law student out there who goes home without talking about the exam, you're probably too busy freaking out afterward to see them packing up hurriedly and running out the door so you don't cause them ancillary panic (or you don't know any 2Ls or 3Ls).  You also probably won't see them hunched over their books in the library with a panicked look on their faces, and you definitely won't see them in the student lounge with deep worry lines in their foreheads, sweating bullets and nervously "asking for help," jockeying for position among their classmates.  These people are much happier.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 12:58:48 PM »
I studied like crazy for my first exam, totally knew the material cold, and still managed to not apply it well.  I'm pretty demoralized now as to how I'm going to do on my next exams where I don't know the material as well.  The stress is insane and I'm not even some trying for top grades - I really just want to do well enough that I don't get put on probation.

same here. i studied my ass off for the first exam. you get one shot and someone who studied a lot less can end up getting a higher grade because they were less nervous or simply having a better day....and this is how four months of hard work is evaluated....it stinks.

Well its not about who studied more or less, and it certainly isn't about who was having a better day.  Its about how well they understood the material,  which is likley the result of how well they studied.  Of course there's no use freaking out about it until you actually get your grades, but if you're disapointed in how you did, do yourself a favor and figure out how to learn the material better.  Different study aids, different study group, conferences with your profs - who knows, cause everybody is different.  But somethings will work better for you than others, so figure out what works. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

Mozart711

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 02:12:34 PM »
I'm not referring to law students causing other law students stress by rambling on about what they WOULD have done (although, review the title of this forum). All I was saying is that every first year law student must have at least one thought that pops up in their head about something they MAY have done wrong/differently. Unless there are first year law students out there who can take a law school exam and walk away from it not having one itch, one question, then I think for the most part students worry. Maybe the worrying for some is more than others, but in the end everyone "worries" to a certain degree. I appreciate your advice, but I think first year law students who have just taken their first exam and posted under a forum titled "Post your comments..rants, venting, joy, cursing the curve.." know already that they should "put the exam behind them". However, when the course is based off of one exam, students are going to naturally worry, hence our posts on such a forum.

I'm not here to argue about what advice is right to post or whatever, just have a little understanding for our reasons why we post in this particular forum.

And if you really don't think there's a law student out there who goes home without talking about the exam, you're probably too busy freaking out afterward to see them packing up hurriedly and running out the door so you don't cause them ancillary panic (or you don't know any 2Ls or 3Ls).  You also probably won't see them hunched over their books in the library with a panicked look on their faces, and you definitely won't see them in the student lounge with deep worry lines in their foreheads, sweating bullets and nervously "asking for help," jockeying for position among their classmates.  These people are much happier.
[/quote]

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 02:17:47 PM »
For all the 1Ls....

I won't add my admonishment to stop obsessing about how you've done on an exam (especially since I've already said this on a different thread  :) ) because I know the reality of it is it's difficult if not impossible to do.

I just want to offer the (hopefully) comforting thought that all of your classmates are in the same boat. NONE of you have ever taken a law school exam before (with some possible part-time and/or repeating student exceptions). None of you really were probably adequately prepared for the stress and pressure which is inherent in a timed law school exam situation. And none of you are going to be experts at applying the law. Sure, some of you will be marginally better than others, and those people will rise to the top of the curve...but just because you struggle with the application doesn't mean you won't be one of those people. At the end of the day you just don't know, and won't know until your grades come back (I know, I know, this is not a comforting thought at all...sorry....) 

You just need to keep in perspective the fact that you're competing against classmates who are all dealing with the same challenges you are, for better or for worse, and don't get too freaked out thinking you've done horribly. Low confidence can have a real and substantial impact on your performance on the rest of your exams.

Oh, and one piece of practical advice. If you're running out of time and know you're not going to be able to address the remaining issues, you might do better to outline what your answer would be if you had the time to write it out. The effectiveness of this tactic will vary depending on your professors, but all of my professors (I did ask all of them....) told me that they give at least some points for outlined answers, which is better than none. Some professors said they wouldn't penalize a student much if at all for outlining. Professors know that time is an issue on these exams. I ran out of time on my first property exam, ended up outlining almost a third of my answer to the final question, and ended up doing very well on the exam (although I was convinced that it was going to be my lowest grade because of the fact that I didn't "finish" it.....)

And finally, to add my own personal finals "comment" to the thread.....thank God I am finally done with Con Law!!! Worst. Class. Ever.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 03:51:27 PM »
....thank God I am finally done with Con Law!!! Worst. Class. Ever.

I have con law next semester, so I'll let you know, but i can't believe that anything is worse than Civil Procedure. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 04:03:51 PM »
Exams haven't really seemed all that bad.  If it weren't for the curve, I'd be convinced I did well on all of them.  Unfortunately, all of my classmates seem to be thinking the same thing. 

yupster567

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 08:41:48 PM »
I took my Civ Pro final on Wednesday and I thought I did pretty well.  Time was an issue, but I feel like I used the facts as much as possible.  It was helpful to go back at the end of the exam and read each sentence to make sure I used that sentence in my answer somewhere.  I am a firm believer that EVERY sentence matters and should be used in your analysis.

One thing after the test really pissed me off though.

I am sitting there putting my laptop away right as the final ended and there are these two girls discussing which domiciles they put for the respective parties.  WHO CARES!!! The final is over.  Start thinking about your next one.  It's crazy that as much as they told us not to talk about finals when they were over EVERYONE did it.  Me and my two buddies went straight to a burger place and ate a good lunch then went straight to studying for Criminal Law. 

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 09:00:09 PM »
I finished my Property outline today. I now have a week to go over the thing, and sear it into my memory. The real ordeal now starts. Even so, finishing the Property outline is a huge step forward. For a long time, it seemed like I would never be done with it. This course is interminable. So, I cheated by looking at Gilbert's. If law school were baseball, the Gilbert's outlines would be steroids. Sure, it's unhealthy to use them, but when you have an exam racing at you within a week's range, it helps you swing your bat faster, so to speak.

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 05:56:29 AM »
I have my property final in about 3 hours, and still don't get validating lives.  So, I may be in a for good a$$ whoppin'...or I may just be able to score pts on everything else enough to bear the brunt of a bad future interests section.  Since this is law school it seems quite appropriate the strategize given my situation. Maybe FIs will only be 10% of the exam, or it might be 25%, or (God forbid) even more.  I'll be sure to b*tch about it when I'm done.