Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OMG I hate future interests...  (Read 1379 times)

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
OMG I hate future interests...
« on: December 04, 2006, 05:52:07 PM »
I know property really well and I'm almost positive I could get a high B in this class if only it wasn't for future interests.  I have no clue what % of my final will be dedicated to FI...if it's 10% great...if it's more like 25%...I'm screwed.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OMG I hate future interests...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:50:47 PM »
What's the problem with them? They are not hard with enough practice. PM me if you want a workbook type thing my prof gave us last year or have questions (aced the class last year).

RAP, on the other hand, is a legitimate thing to get worked up about.
Air Force JAG Corps

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 09:14:46 PM »
Unfortunately my prof is all about FI... so oh well, practice makes draining, lol
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 10:56:08 PM »
What's the problem with them? They are not hard with enough practice. PM me if you want a workbook type thing my prof gave us last year or have questions (aced the class last year).

RAP, on the other hand, is a legitimate thing to get worked up about.

RAP is part of future interests and one of the main reasons people hate them.  I, on the other hand killed myself trying to understand everything about the statute of uses.  Turns out, I didn't really need to know that much about it, but I wasted many hours learning the history.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 07:35:18 AM »
The key to future interests is practice, practice, practice.  The more problems you do, the better. My professor tried to really screw our class over.  In class and from the casebook, we did some relatively straightforward "easy" examples to learn the rules.  In contrast, his exam had some really bad questions on it.  I did pretty well on the FI section, but only because I did probably 100 questions.  (hit your law library to see if they have workbooks/Q&A type books just for FI)

rutherford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 09:35:47 AM »
wow. I feel for you guys. Our prof basically said there won't be any strictly Future Interest questions. Just Essays.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 03:08:26 PM »
Future interests are ok with me, as long as they're softball questions. As soon as the difficulty level goes up, I'm flustered, even though I know this stuff. The way the questions on the exam are phrased, they make you totally forget that you in fact know the interests.

Today, we spent our property review session going over the semester. Some students understandably showed a huge gap in their command on future interests- and the professor was no longer offering her ingratiating remarks.

The Rule Against Perpetuities is a huge source of angst among students. The way this has been taught to us has been conspicuously inadequate.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 03:11:29 PM »

The Rule Against Perpetuities is a huge source of angst among students. The way this has been taught to us has been conspicuously inadequate.

It's not the way its taught, its just the bloody rule itself.  I never really found a good, clear explanation of the rule last year.  (although if your professor sucks, the rule can be even worse than the nightmare it already is)

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 03:36:02 PM »
My property prof did a nice job of explaining the RAP last year. From my outline:

4 steps:
1) State the title
2) State the condition precedent (what will make interest vest?)
3) Find a tentative measuring life (person whose death resolves the contingency immediately or at least within 21 years)
   -if that person is a class, it must be closed
4) Is tentative measuring life in being at the time of grant?
   -if not, interest is void

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 04:51:52 PM »
This came from my property midterm last year:

Fred Astaire conveys his farm to "to Clair Adair, the au pair, and her heirs so long as Clair Adair cares for my pair of rare mares named Flair and Blair; if Clair Adair dare not care for the rare mare pair Flair and Blair, then beware: to Astaire's heirs."

THAT is cause for future interest bitching.
Air Force JAG Corps