Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L - Decided to leave...should I even take exams?  (Read 2015 times)

evergreatful

• View Profile
Re: 1L - Decided to leave...should I even take exams?
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 04:42:11 PM »
See if you can get a leave of absence instead of just leaving, you might change your mind in a year. That's what I'm doing. From the standpoint of other careers you might pursue, showing that you stuck it out and took the exams is really important. If you're like me, you behind in the material because you figured you would leave, but just go live at the library, its worth it in the end. If you leave now and get Fs or your transcript just shows you left with nothing to show for it, employers/other schools might think that you couldn't hack it, and that is bad. My two cents.

Thanks Bella. At your school you get F's if you withdrawal now? I am meeting with the director of students on Monday to find out the procedure at my school but I was under the assumption the transcript will be W's. Also what will happen with your full year courses regardless of whether one stays to take finals or not?

bella112

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 09:00:57 PM »
I don't have full year courses where I go, but it would be Ws, which you would then have to explain to future employers or schools. I think they'd be a lot more likely to believe you left by choice if you at least get halfway decent grades and finish the semester.

evergreatful

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 03:54:37 PM »
Well I spoke to school officals on Monday to get the skinny on withdrawing. It turns out whether I take finals or not my 3 full year courses will be W's. Torts is the only class where I will get a grade if I take finals. I have until next Wednesday to decide if I take finals or not. I probably will just for shits and giggles.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 04:26:56 PM »
I have until next Wednesday to decide if I take finals or not. I probably will just for shits and giggles.

DO IT for all of us who can never just totally blow off an exam.  Call "A" a jack*ss, say that B should have run C over a second time to kill him because then he'd have to pay less damages.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 06:02:55 PM »
I have until next Wednesday to decide if I take finals or not. I probably will just for shits and giggles.

DO IT for all of us who can never just totally blow off an exam.  Call "A" a jack*ss, say that B should have run C over a second time to kill him because then he'd have to pay less damages.

Haha...omg that would be freakin hilarious. I think what you should actually do is just critique the whole law school system...pretty much everything that's wrong with law school in general.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 06:09:45 PM »
Make it a public critique, not just of the prof but of the whole freaking school.  Toss in mentions of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Even better, analogize to your situation.

"A may have a cause of action against B for negligent infliction of emotional distress, similar to the cause of action a student could file against a law school for putting it in the 'zone of danger' of having a nervous breakdown.  The zone of danger test works like this: when one party causes death or serious injury to another (i.e. a nervous breakdown) and someone close to that person reasonably believes they are in danger as a result of the original tortfeasor's (i.e. the law school) actions.  A can hope to recover money damages, but a law school student should seek an injunction against the school to stop it from causing harm to other students.  In balancing the equities, the court will likely find this is necessary."

Can you tell I'm sick of studying?
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 06:11:53 PM »

Haha...omg that would be freakin hilarious. I think what you should actually do is just critique the whole law school system...pretty much everything that's wrong with law school in general.

While it would be funny, only the prof. would know.  Kind of a limited audience, don't you think? It wouldn't really be worth the bother of getting up in the morning and coming to school to take the test.