Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L - Decided to leave...should I even take exams?  (Read 2021 times)

evergreatful

• View Profile
1L - Decided to leave...should I even take exams?
« on: November 30, 2006, 10:18:26 PM »
I am a 1L and have made the decision to leave law school. It is just not for me. Any advice on whether I should even take exams? We have 1 week of class left, next week. Thanks!!!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 1L - Decided to leave...should I even take exams?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 10:28:04 PM »
See what the policy is on withdrawing.  If you can withdraw and not earn Fs in your classes, then go ahead.  But if you'd get Fs, I'd stick it out if it was me.  You never know what the future holds, and someday you may decide to give law school another try, which will be near impossible if you have a transcript of Fs.

evergreatful

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 10:35:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice...I am part time and taking 4 courses and 3 out of those are full year courses so I do not think we even get a grade for those. I think my transcript will only have Torts which is the only full year course. But, I do need to go talk to the dean. Thanks again.

tenth8sphere

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 11:25:32 PM »
Talk to your Dean. They will tell you the advantages/disadvantages of your options clearly. Then you can make an informed decision.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 11:35:21 PM »
If you're going to get F's anyway, then you should take the exam and don't worry about doing too well - then at least you can boost the rest of your section-mates up on the curve. 

A guy in my section dropped out last week - I'm glad he's doing what's best for him, but I wish the SOB would have at least stuck around long enough to take his exams!
Emory '09

LSN

bella112

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 04:24:22 PM »
See if you can get a leave of absence instead of just leaving, you might change your mind in a year. That's what I'm doing. From the standpoint of other careers you might pursue, showing that you stuck it out and took the exams is really important. If you're like me, you behind in the material because you figured you would leave, but just go live at the library, its worth it in the end. If you leave now and get Fs or your transcript just shows you left with nothing to show for it, employers/other schools might think that you couldn't hack it, and that is bad. My two cents.

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 04:38:13 PM »
Yeah, Bella just said exactly what I was going to say. Well done. Taking your exams then a leave of absence is the safe bet, imho.

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 05:05:56 PM »
Don't people who withdraw count towards the curve anyway?

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 02:18:42 PM »
Don't people who withdraw count towards the curve anyway?
Typically they are removed from the curve.

bella112

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 04:02:26 PM »
Yeah, I thought only people who take finals factor into the curve. I don't know how that works with schools that have midterms, but I guess they could curve each individual test based on how many people took it...