Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miserable transfers?  (Read 2409 times)

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Miserable transfers?
« on: November 30, 2006, 08:44:24 AM »
So obviously it's finals time and the tone of this board has changed significantly.  I'm going to contribute a little more.

Has anyone else here felt, post-transfer, really miserable?  I'm at my new school, trying to write on to Law Review (a year-long process during which candidates must produce a full-length comment deemed publishable by the board), coping with the fact that I lost my entire GPA, not knowing where I'm going to fall, feeling like I'm in over my head, etc.

The other side of the problem is that it's hard to know who to talk to about this.  My friends at my old school are sick of hearing me complain because I did leave the school they're still at, after all.  Luckily there are some other unhappy transfers, but who really wants to sit around and commiserate all the time?

Anyone else dealing with this?
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

rutherford

• View Profile
Re: Miserable transfers?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 03:47:44 PM »
There are some good days and some bad. I am a bit worried because I lost my rank/GPA, and I don't really like the conservative nature of the city I'm in, plus its going to be cold soon, which is depressing. You see, I left a very warm, sunny T4 for a top 20 school.

Whenever I'm miserable though I do take comfort in knowing I have better job options out of my school. Plus, a T1 school like mine isn't as focused on failing people out like my old T4. I mean, I'm told you have to really try in order to get a D or F here and I think the median is like a 3.2. That's a positive, because the attrition rate at my old school was horrible. So it's a new mindset and I'm not as concerned about failing out as I am about just learning and doing my best.

But I do still have those days that I wish I was back at my old school for no other reason then that area was my home and I'm kind of lost in this new city/school as a transfer.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »
Whenever I'm miserable though I do take comfort in knowing I have better job options out of my school.

Maybe that's my problem.  Equalize everything, job, money, summer associateship, and I was in the same position at my old school as I will be out of the new one, only difference is that now I have two post-summer associate job options instead of one.

I felt like at my old school I knew everyone, knew which classes to take, knew (to a reasonable degree of certainty) how well I would do based on how hard I studied.  Here, everything is new and different.  Really different.

Another thing I've noticed: with the difference in competition, now I feel like I can't get away with anything.  I knew at my old school that if I had an off class in a semester I could still pull As in the other classes and maintain my class rank.  Now I'm adrift ... I know that, no matter how hard I study, someone else is studying harder.  No matter how smart I think I am, everyone else is smarter. 

Ah, fatalist finals mindset ... missed you since May.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:17:16 PM »
Hey all. Yeah, it's the time of year. You can feel it in the air at the school and the library is packed.

I don't understand why everyone says they "lost" their GPA from their first school when they transfer. I understand that the old school's GPA will not be on the new school's transcript, nor calculated. But for employment purposes, couldn't you always show your transcript or at least disclose the first year GPA to the prospective employer? Wouldn't it be a good thing especially since 1st year is particularly the worst year? Or am I missing something about the GPA from the old school? Because I also want to transfer from my current school.

Thanks.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:55:08 PM »
The idea of "losing" a GPA doesn't mean it's deleted from permanent records forever.  You still have it, it's still on the transcript from your old school, you still show it to employers (if you want).  But you don't get to maintain it, build on it, and have it as some sort of indication of where you stand (academically) in your class.

The stress of the first year comes partially from the general fear that comes with going to law school; more work, more responsibility, more time in the library, a different type of learning and thinking, etc.  But another big piece of it is the uncertainty: you don't know where you stand until at least a month after the end of your first semester/quarter, there are no intermitent progress reports to keep you going (except legal writing), and by the time you get your grades it may be too late to do anything about the next semester.

When you transfer, you feel like a first year all over again and you lose whatever certainty the GPA gave you.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 07:09:22 PM »
There's a bit of a balance. For me, the curve has gone up from a 2.67 to a 3.0 at my new school. Secondly, there's only about 35 2L/3L's at my campus and pretty much every prof has said that they're not going to deviate much from the curve in either direction. So fewer A's, and you really have to screw up to get below a C+ in the courses. However, having more difficult courses coupled with the fact that there aren't any "weak links" makes the competition more fierce.

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:53:21 PM »
Dude, assuming you're at Chicago, you don't have to write onto law review... You've probably got your job lined up already... The race is over man.  Relax.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 09:55:21 AM »
Dude, assuming you're at Chicago, you don't have to write onto law review... You've probably got your job lined up already... The race is over man.  Relax.

If only I had it in me I'd be a lot less miserable.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 10:43:42 AM »
Air Force JAG Corps

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 11:04:13 AM »
Miserable at one of the top law schools in the nation, lots of lawyers are miserable at the top firms, making top salaries.

Just because it's "the best" or "one of the best" doesn't make it the right choice.  I think my problem was that I went to a school that was 100% different from the school I started at; Chicago is entirely theoretical in its approach and I came in totally unprepared. 

Enough complaining.  Time to start studying.