Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Great new rankings  (Read 1476 times)

Krisace

• View Profile
Great new rankings
« on: November 27, 2006, 09:07:22 PM »
Check out the new rankings courtesy of Cooley Law School itself:

http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/overall2006.htm

PS Cooley has a median LSAT of 149 and GPA of 3.01.I don't have a problem with the school itself, I'm sure the education is fine, but this shows how easily numbers can be manipulated!

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
Re: Great new rankings
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 09:24:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm surprised Duke was able to pull ahead of Loyola this year, right up into 24th place. However, I can't argue with any rankings that have GW in the top ten.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 09:27:24 PM »
I hate when people bash T4s but this school is just asking for it.  That is utterly ridiculous.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 10:12:27 PM »
i generally attempt to steer clear of the whole "lets bash the t4" thing but this cooley-does-rankings spoof is beyond absurd - it's like listening to your gimpy kid brother tell you (again) that this is going to be the year that he finally beats you in 1-on-1 basketball. of course, you win 15-0. yeah, there is a moment of triumph but it is only fleeting; by the time you make it off the court you can't help but feel sorry for the tiny, gimpy, and delusional bastard. maybe next time you think, you'll throw the game ..  except, of course, USNWR isn't nearly as sympathetic.

seriously cooley .. STOP, i'm feeling embarrassed for you

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 10:24:57 PM »
Are you saying you have a problem with judging law schools on criteria such as Library Total Square Footage, Non-Library Total Square Footage AND Total Law School Square Footage? Then how would you explain the phrase, "The bigger the size of the law school library, the size of the law school not counting the library AND the total size of the law school, the better it is"?

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:39:20 PM »
I am sure Cooley is a great law school that deserves its high ranking.... don't knock it till you tried it!!!  ::)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 07:25:42 AM »
My problem with Cooley's rankings is not that Cooley is much higher.  It's that no T4 schools are.  I imagine that T4 have some similar characteristics, but Cooley has picked a set of circumstances that set it apart from everyone else, like was said above, three different measures of the physical size of the law school.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 10:36:26 AM »
I agree, the rest of the rankings are somewhat similar, but they've simply inserted Cooley in the top of the list.  Most of the others aren't that different than other rankings

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:37:22 PM »
As flattered as I am by these rankings- my school is ranked a T1 according to this index- I have to say that everything here is incredibly out of whack. Thomas Cooley would command so much more respect- or perhaps, less scorn- if it did not have it's own ranking of law schools. That is really loopy.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 01:12:14 AM »
They actaully sent an application to my house when I was applying to schools law year, and my parents (not knowing much about the real law school rankings) urged me to apply there :o.  I honestly dont Cooley is as bad a school as people make it out the be.  I am sure that the there top 10% are just as talented as the top ten percent of other tier 3 and 4 schools.