Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn & Gtown  (Read 2384 times)

LawSchooler09

• View Profile
Penn & Gtown
« on: November 27, 2006, 01:10:32 PM »
Hey guys, anyone have any information on transferring to Georgetown or UPenn.  Thanks.

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Penn & Gtown
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 02:22:50 PM »
dont go to penn unless u like poppin collers and wearing plaid shorts.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 08:08:38 AM »
Georgetown takes TONS of transfers (about 80 this year); check Penn's website, they usually say how many transfers they take.  Georgetown is a tough school to transfer into, unless you're well aware of -- and ready to tolerate -- the Georgetown snobbery (think DC agendas + East Coast attitude + privileged law students ... it's not pretty).  I'd strongly consider it if I was interested in politics, international law, or tax.  Georgetown also takes early decision transfer applicants after the first semester grades are in, I don't know of any other school that does that.  This makes it really easy to transfer if you get great grades after your first semester and end up being a fluke and doing worse your second (happened to most of the people I knew with 3.8+ GPAs after the 1st sem).

Something important to think about (and I think most potential transfers don't) is the size of the class.  Georgetown's classes are like 550+ students each, so it can be really hard for transfers to blend in and get to know a lot of their colleagues (then again, it's hard for 1Ls, as well).  If you go to a school with a smaller class (Yale, Chicago, not sure about Penn) you're going to get to know people within a semester and (if you're lucky) fit right in as if you started your first year.  Transfers often feel isolated at their school, so if significant social interaction is important to you, take that into consideration.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:17:44 AM »
UCHI - If you are going to post know what you are talking about haha.  GULC and GW (and other large school's) do have huge entering classes, but you are broken down into sections of 120-130 people, just like at every other law school.

Also, with regards to the early transfer at GULC: 90% of the time they take your Fall grades and send you a letter saying they are going to hold your application until your Spring grades are out.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:44:15 PM »
UCHI - If you are going to post know what you are talking about haha.  GULC and GW (and other large school's) do have huge entering classes, but you are broken down into sections of 120-130 people, just like at every other law school.

Also, with regards to the early transfer at GULC: 90% of the time they take your Fall grades and send you a letter saying they are going to hold your application until your Spring grades are out.

You're not broken down into sections after your 1L year, you're just at a disadvantage because the people who were broken down into sections know each other well.

As for the 90% figure, not sure where you get that.  My best friend was in by March (way before spring grades came out) and there were at least 20-30 other transfers in by that time, too.  They only end up with around 80 transfers, so I assume they give out between 100-120 transfer acceptances, so at my best guess I'd say they probably accept at least 20-25% of transfers before spring grades are out.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:50:36 PM »
I go to GW, it is a great school, ESPECIALLY for IP.  If you are going IP then GW sounds like it would be a great fit if you don't get into GULC.

What are your stats?  Good luck!

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:09:35 AM »
I go to GW as well, and I second everything the previous poster said. Patent judges even teach several classes here.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 11:11:56 AM »
Are you transferring from FT to FT or from PT to PT?

johns259

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • GW Law
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 11:37:41 AM »
I've met two students this semester that transferred here from American. I don't have any idea where they placed in their class though. There are a bunch of transfers here at GW, but I don't know any exact numbers or how it compares to Gtown. I can tell you that IP is a huge deal here.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »
I expect top 20%

You are a tool with a 80% chance of not making the cut.
Air Force JAG Corps